Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which dash cam does everyone recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which dash cam does everyone recommend?

Slowly working on the funds to add some mods to my truck but first thing is first I want a dash cam. Traffic in the mid atlantic is ridiculous and I spend a fair amount of time on the road so I want a little protection for me and my truck. Any recommendations and or pictures of your set ups would be very appreciated.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I have had this one installed for 4 years now and highly recommend the brand for features and quality recording it's high end. Tends to be a little pricy but you get what you pay for. Obviously my model is discontinued, and they only improved on them since. BlackVue.

Amazon Amazon

Easy to conceal front and rear cams, HD recording, parking mode, wifi etc..... just read the specs on the latest versions. The rear camera gets it's power from the front camera/dvr. Has an app for aiming and wifi file transfer.

Front cam in front of rear view mirror just below the dot grid. That power wire has since been routed under the head liner down the A pillar to the fuse panel.

The rear cam I mounted on the slider, I simply looped a length of the cable from the front camera under the headliner so it wouldn't droop into view when I open it.

4 years now it's run almost 24/7/365 and the only problems I've had weren't the camera's fault, but the sd cards, they can only record and erase so many times then become unusable, nature of the beast. When this dual cam/dvr craps out I will most certainly replace it with the same brand.

A video I took with the system. Had back ground music but copy right issues I had to take it out. If you have Led Zepplins Immigrant Song, start it playing as soon as the truck starts rolling, times it perfectly to the entire video. lol

Old 08-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Get the best video quality one you can with the highest amount of frame rate. That makes for better review and slo-mo. Can be easier to tell when a light is actually red versus green, etc.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

I am in the insurance business, and nothing makes a liar out of some folks like dash cam video. I can tell you some of the businesses I work with have saved several hundred thousand dollars in claims via dash cams shooting down lies on the other side.
The following users liked this post:
seventyeight (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
I am in the insurance business, and nothing makes a liar out of some folks like dash cam video. I can tell you some of the businesses I work with have saved several hundred thousand dollars in claims via dash cams shooting down lies on the other side.
Liars!

I went through months of back and forth between my insurance and the other parties insurance with an accident years ago. An old drunk guy pulled directly in front of me on a 55 mph road. Yes, I T-boned him. Very rural area - state police took 1:15 minutes to show up. Finally after months it was deemed not my fault.

Long story short - if I had a dash cam at the time all would have been said and done the next day. I've had one ever since and will never be without.

-------------------------

To the OP - do a search - Hit "Search" then in the text field put "dash cam" then choose "titles only" - you have hours of reading pleasure about dash cams.
chimmike (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Amen to that, it wasn't my actual primary reason for getting the system I have. I bought it right after I saw that footage of the meteor explosion in Russia. Found out later on the primary reason most everyone has them over there is precisely the reason you gave, to help counter insurance fraud which seems to have been rampant over there for years.

One instance there was some asshat in a turn lane that decided to cross back over a solid white line back into traffic where I happened to be, I narrowly avoided the accident by swerving back into the other lane. The video I have would have proved without a doubt who was at fault.

I'll never drive any where ever again without a dash cam.
chimmike (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I stumbled across this last Sunday, as I was shopping for stuff to put into a CV I'm about to trade to my mother:
Amazon Amazon

This is the 2-cam version for >2x the price (so you might as well get 2 of the fronts):
Amazon Amazon

It seems to be pretty good, and reasonably-priced, but I didn't order either one yet. This is the 4K version for $20 more than the first:
Amazon Amazon

Monday, a car hit me. No damage or injuries, but the girl & her parents (who were in the car in front of her) lied to the cops about what happened. Even without video, they wrote her the ticket.

Last edited by Steve83; 08-22-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Great info rnlcomp.

This video convinced me to get one for my upcoming new truck

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...ws-bonnet.html
Old 08-22-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I have a Garmin Nuvi Cam and what I like about it is it is portable, can take it with me in any vehicle, and it has navigation too.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 990 Likes on 667 Posts

I have a good one. I bought 2 Anker dash cams, one for me & one for the wife`s car. I installed the wife`s camera first. It was in for about a week & a half when we decided to take a drive to NJ on June 30. We were in an unfamiliar area & were parked on a residential street at the curb & about 75 feet from the corner. The car was in park. While we were talking, a loud bang occured & I looked up just in time to see a black car speeding away & making an almost two wheel right turn at the corner. My car was sideswiped & the driver`s side mirror was hanging by it`s wire. We called 911 & the police came & took the report. After the officer left, we had to wait for AAA to tow the car, since I did not want to drive with the mirror swinging in the breeze. We were sitting there for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden, BANG! we were hit again. I could not believe it. This time, the car that hit us broke it`s right front wheel & was stuck up against my quarter panel.

We called 911 Again & the same officer came back & said something on the order of "We have to stop meeting like this". This time my rear driver`s side wheel is pushed up against the front of the wheel arch. The officer takes everyone`s information & got the other driver (an older woman) a ride home. We waited 4 hours for a tow. When I got home, I got my next door neighbor to download the pictures from my dash cam (I could not figure it out). I called the police on Monday & explained that I had pics & the sd card showing video of the car leaving the scene of the first accident. The officer asked if I would send what I had to him & then he asked if I could read the tag number. After I told him the tag number, he asked me "are you sure?" I said "I`m looking at it" (here`s the good part), he said "that`s the same woman who hit you the second time. I can`t make this stuff up. Anyway, the point of all this is that if I did not have a dash cam that day, the whole thing would have been written off as coincidence. As it was, the lady was charged with hit & run & other charges from the second crash. I sent copies of the sd card & pic to both my insurance company & her insurance company. With those & the police report, her insurance paid for everything including car rental for the month our car was in the shop. I don`t drive without a dash cam anymore.
Shane803 (08-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Which dash cam does everyone recommend?