Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covering Company Signs on an Aluminum Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 PM
Beach Bum

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Covering Company Signs on an Aluminum Body

I had the hardest time trying to figure out how to cover my signage on my company truck because I live in an HOA that doesn't allow commercial vehicles.. I used to use plain white magnets on my steel body truck but when I got a new aluminum truck that option didn't work anymore. I needed something that would hold up on a daily basis so i ended up purchasing these corrugated plastic panels at Lowes and got some small bungee cords. I punched holes in the plastic, cut the bungee's and pushed them through the hole and knotted them. Then i hook them along the weather stripping of the window and hook the bottom on the door. It works great and keeps me from getting a monthly fine from my HOA. Post up any other options if any of you are dealing with the same thing

Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Your not allowed to have decals but that is ok in your HOA, dear god!

Try some simple vinyl. My kid had a set she sticks everywhere, I'm sure a sign shop could cut you a piece quite cheaply.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-18-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Beach Bum

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default That would be nice

the company wants the sign showing every day so it has to be removable and I runnservice calls so it could be removed and reinstalls up to 10 times a day.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

That sucks. That is also why I will never in a HOA development. Maybe something with small suction cups on each corner?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by odd-6
Your not allowed to have decals but that is ok in your HOA, dear god!

Try some simple vinyl. My kid had a set she sticks everywhere, I'm sure a sign shop could cut you a piece quite cheaply.
That's because all HOA's are run by idiots who like to make stupid rules.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

It's like a condo board deciding on which welcome mats meet "approval"..... SMH...

I'd be nervous about water intrusion into the doors if you drilled into the weather seal.

That is one of the big pains in the *** about aluminum.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

To make it a little easier, you could plant a bush on the side of the driveway where you normally park. That takes care of that side without you having to do anything. For the other side, keep doing what you are doing, use suction cups on the windows, or build a small frame with the corrugated plastic on it (then you could just grab it from the garage and put it next to your truck).

What about just talking to the HOA and try to get an exception?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Ever see that "X Files" episode about the HOA?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

You really should put some sort of graphic on the side of the corrugated plastic. Maybe something like this, followed by the words "HOA".

The following 3 users liked this post by bassJAM:
ifallsron (08-18-2018), SCrewYou (08-18-2018), UnkLeRaRa (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Another reason not to live in a home with HOA, but too late now for you. That coroplast looks worse than any lettering/logo would. I used to have a sign business, and I remember one guy ordering magnetic signs for his business vehicle, and after picking them up came back in to complain they were defective. He had a Land Rover, and didn't know the doors were aluminum. Your clever idea works as long as they don't notice. If in fact their regulations specifically prohibit commercial vehicles, rather than vehicle lettering, you are still in violation. You could make the covering less noticeable if you used a more flexible, less visible product. Static Cling, often printed and used on storefront and fast food windows for sales is available in white. The problem is that it doesn't stick well when really cold, raining, or it gets dirty on the back. A cheap, basic Polypropylene car cover might be a better option, you can find them online for as little as $60.

Quick Reply: Covering Company Signs on an Aluminum Body