General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chips and Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Chips and Ecoboost

What are you guys using and can you really reflash before you go to dealer and get away with it? Thanks for any info
Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Do a search. Lots of threads.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love to eat Terra chips while I drive my ecoboost.

The computer records everything, including flashes done. Dealer can see most everything done to the ecu. Now, whether they look for it or not is a different story. Also, I don't think anyone is 'chipping' anymore as opposed to flashing/scanning tunes.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was hoping for an answer while I was at work. Yes, I know not very patient. Can't do searches on my phone.

So, its a no go. Seems even with reflashing you are busted when the dealer hooks up to your truck. Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of the programmers or flashing of the ECU is done thru the OBD Port under the dash. You "install" the program with a hand held device and then unplug it and start driving your truck with a now retuned engine. When it is going to be going to see a dealership, just plug the hand held unit back to the OBD port and switch it back to the FACTORY setting. There is no trace of it there then.
Plus if you leave your program on there and they decide to refashion your ECM, then you just list you new program.
I have had three different tuners. One on three different trucks. Of course they were all diesel trucks but I loved the retuned results.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:47 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquadisiac
A lot of the programmers or flashing of the ECU is done thru the OBD Port under the dash. You "install" the program with a hand held device and then unplug it and start driving your truck with a now retuned engine. When it is going to be going to see a dealership, just plug the hand held unit back to the OBD port and switch it back to the FACTORY setting. There is no trace of it there then.
Plus if you leave your program on there and they decide to refashion your ECM, then you just list you new program.
I have had three different tuners. One on three different trucks. Of course they were all diesel trucks but I loved the retuned results.
Not exactly the most accurate statement. There are plenty of threads that argue this point. The dealership can easily tell there has been a file loaded onto the truck. It will most definitely leave a trace behind. Guy's have had their warranties voided after having problems because all the dealership needs to prove is something is being tampered with.
Basically OP you will always be taking a risk with reprogramming your truck. You always have to be ready to pay if you're programming your truck. Some have gotten away with it, others have been left with a 13k bill for a new motor...just make an informed decision before you buy and you should be OK.
PS...welcome to the forum!!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:53 AM

Received 200 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan24
Not exactly the most accurate statement. There are plenty of threads that argue this point. The dealership can easily tell there has been a file loaded onto the truck. It will most definitely leave a trace behind. Guy's have had their warranties voided after having problems because all the dealership needs to prove is something is being tampered with.
Basically OP you will always be taking a risk with reprogramming your truck. You always have to be ready to pay if you're programming your truck. Some have gotten away with it, others have been left with a 13k bill for a new motor...just make an informed decision before you buy and you should be OK.
PS...welcome to the forum!!
I have not heard of anyone in the US getting the warranties voided because of a tuner.
The following users liked this post:
engineermike (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 01:44 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Bottom line is Ford CAN tell if you had a tune. PERIOD!

Weather or not they look or care is up to the dealer. There are a few ways they can tell. One is Key cycles(crank truck and turn off is one) if you bring a truck in with 30K miles with 10 key cycles they know it's been tuned. There are others that's can't remember, a friend of mine posted on another board. He is a 15yr experience SVT Certified Master Tech.

Wayne
The following users liked this post:
Truck owner (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 AM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by caneman88
I have not heard of anyone in the US getting the warranties voided because of a tuner.
Do some searching man, there are a few people on this forum that have put rods though their block and been left with a $13k bill. There is also people that have blown a turbo and been left with a $4k bill. If ford want's, they can find out. In the end it's up to the dealer on how hard they dig.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

I wouldn't tune my truck until I was out of warranty. Why mod and have an issue as stated previously and lose out on repairs,, usually when a tune goes bad it can be a major issue and be very costly, why roll the dice on whether a dealer/ford is gonna cover it..Its hard enough for them to honor there warranties with there own FORD issues let alone a customer tune mod..Your wallet your decision.

Quick Reply: Chips and Ecoboost