Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a price of a special order F150 still be negotiated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a price of a special order F150 still be negotiated?

I have been at a local Ford Dealer here in Las Vegas for 2 consecutive days. I was considering both RAM 1500 and Ford F150. Based on my research, I am set to get a...

Ford F150 - LARIAT SuperCrew 4x4 with these options/package:

1) 6.2L V8 engine
2) 5 1/2 ' Box Size
3) Equipment Group 502A
4) Max. Trailer Tow Package
5) Heavy-Duty Payload Package
6) Dual Head Restraint DVD by INVISION
7) Sterling Gray Metallic or Green Gem Metallic (Exterior)
8) Steel Gray Leather or Black Leather (Interior)

I looked around local dealers an no one have these configuration. So here are my questions for those who are more familiar with Ford F150s:

1. Can my requirements be ordered as listed? Or Max. Trailer cannot be had with Heavy Duty payload package?

2. When or if I decide to order what I want from a local dealer, can the price still be negotiated down from MSRP? (Can rebates or incentives be applied)? Or if it is a special order, I am expected to pay the Total List price based on the options or package I want?

3. For those who have ordered from Ford in the past, how much down would be required by Ford?

My wife and I also looked at F250. We both decided to stick with the F150 LARIAT. Diesel is also NOT an option for us.

I am looking forward for your responses, suggestion or opinions. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ADOR
I have been at a local Ford Dealer here in Las Vegas for 2 consecutive days. I was considering both RAM 1500 and Ford F150. Based on my research, I am set to get a...

Ford F150 - LARIAT SuperCrew 4x4 with these options/package:

1) 6.2L V8 engine
2) 5 1/2 ' Box Size
3) Equipment Group 502A
4) Max. Trailer Tow Package
5) Heavy-Duty Payload Package
6) Dual Head Restraint DVD by INVISION
7) Sterling Gray Metallic or Green Gem Metallic (Exterior)
8) Steel Gray Leather or Black Leather (Interior)

I looked around local dealers an no one have these configuration. So here are my questions for those who are more familiar with Ford F150s:

1. Can my requirements be ordered as listed? Or Max. Trailer cannot be had with Heavy Duty payload package?

2. When or if I decide to order what I want from a local dealer, can the price still be negotiated down from MSRP? (Can rebates or incentives be applied)? Or if it is a special order, I am expected to pay the Total List price based on the options or package I want?

3. For those who have ordered from Ford in the past, how much down would be required by Ford?

My wife and I also looked at F250. We both decided to stick with the F150 LARIAT. Diesel is also NOT an option for us.

I am looking forward for your responses, suggestion or opinions. Thanks.
1) The official source book for the model year you are looking at can tell you if that combination of things is possible, but your dealer should be able to also. Blue Oval forums seems to have lots of information about ordering.

2) I ordered the 2011 that I drive and I negotiated on the base price and the price for each option package I wanted. Paid less than invoice. There's no reason the dealer shouldn't negotiate with you. Also, be aware that ordered vehicles are not a PIA for dealers - for them it's just another vehicle order. In fact, special orders end up costing the dealer LESS than a dealer order vehicle that sits on the lot taking up space while waiting for a buyer. Some dealer will take that into account when negotiating.

3) My dealer asked for $500 to place the order, and said he'd refund that if the deal went south for any reason. It did not, so I never got to verify that.

EDIT: Here's a link to thread on another forum that has the 2013 F-150 Order Guide for download, but you'll need to register I think.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...0-order-guide/

Last edited by Theocoog; 08-29-2013 at 05:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ADOR (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Theocoog
2) I ordered the 2011 that I drive and I negotiated on the base price and the price for each option package I wanted. Paid less than invoice. There's no reason the dealer shouldn't negotiate with you. Also, be aware that ordered vehicles are not a PIA for dealers - for them it's just another vehicle order. In fact, special orders end up costing the dealer LESS than a dealer order vehicle that sits on the lot taking up space while waiting for a buyer. Some dealer will take that into account when negotiating.

3) My dealer asked for $500 to place the order, and said he'd refund that if the deal went south for any reason. It did not, so I never got to verify that.

EDIT: Here's a link to thread on another forum that has the 2013 F-150 Order Guide for download, but you'll need to register I think.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...0-order-guide/
Thanks for the link. I will check on that today. When you placed the order, did the dealer first gave you the Total Cost, then you negotiated down? I only asked because since it is a special order, there is really no MSRP sticker price? Or is there?

The Ford sales rep just called. He suggested that I look into a Raptor, since most the stuff I want is on the Raptor. I said "no thanks". Also told me that I can still order what I want, but it will not be on a 2013 model. I have to order a 2014, which no incentives or rebates apply as of this time.

Having said that, do you think I can negotiate from a 2014 model?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM
wbc

I just finalized my order with the dealer here today on a 2013 Lariat. They said the cutoff was August 31st for the 2013 models. I used X plan so I can't comment on the negotiating but my dealer does use the Incentive Protection Plan so on the buyers agreement the current incentives are listed.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by wbc
I just finalized my order with the dealer here today on a 2013 Lariat. They said the cutoff was August 31st for the 2013 models.
What options/package did you get on your Lariat? Do you mind telling me what was the final price you were able to negotiate with the dealer? You can PM me the price if you want. I just want to have an idea on the price with the options you selected.

I might go down the dealership this weekend to ask for a quote for a 2014 model with the options/package that I want.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks for the link. I will check on that today. When you placed the order, did the dealer first gave you the Total Cost, then you negotiated down? I only asked because since it is a special order, there is really no MSRP sticker price? Or is there?

The Ford sales rep just called. He suggested that I look into a Raptor, since most the stuff I want is on the Raptor. I said "no thanks". Also told me that I can still order what I want, but it will not be on a 2013 model. I have to order a 2014, which no incentives or rebates apply as of this time.

Having said that, do you think I can negotiate from a 2014 model?
I bought the Consumer's Reports car price data (I think it was like $20) for the F-150 that included MSRP, invoice and other cost data such as dealer hold-backs for all the models and all the option packages, so I went in knowing the cost to the dealer of each and every option. Everything the dealer sells, including options, option packages, whole vehicles and individual parts has an MSRP, an invoice price, and a price that the dealer will settle for. So knowing that info gives you an advantage over the buyer that doesn't have that info available.

They've probably stopped making 2013s st the factory, so you'd have to order a 2014 - that makes sense. The dealer should negotiate on 2014, but they really want to get rid of the 2013s that are taking space on their lots, so you might get a good deal on one of those.

I think most members on here will tell you to never pay MSRP, regardless of model year, and many have gotten $10k or more off the MSRP.

Good luck. Hope you find the truck you're looking for.

Last edited by Theocoog; 08-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM
wbc

What options/package did you get on your Lariat? Do you mind telling me what was the final price you were able to negotiate with the dealer? You can PM me the price if you want. I just want to have an idea on the price with the options you selected.

I might go down the dealership this weekend to ask for a quote for a 2014 model with the options/package that I want.
I did a Lariat 4x4 Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' bed with the HD package. The HD package is why I had to order. Inside I got the 501A package, Sony radio and bucket seats. Only thing I got on the outside was the spray in bed liner. *Edit* Also the tailgate step.

X plan gave me $5k off MSRP. Current incentives in my market are $4k if financing through Ford (which I'll refinance right away if the rate isn't good). I received my brochure from Ford yesterday that had another $1k coupon off. Brought that in and the dealer said it shouldn't be problem locking that in as well.

I'm upgrading from a Frontier Pro4X which only has 980lbs of payload and only gaining a few hundred more pounds of payload without the HD package didn't seem worth it. It was either HD or get a 250 and the 250's with diesel is out of my budget.

Last edited by wbc; 08-29-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 PM

wbc, I sent you a PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

"1. Can my requirements be ordered as listed? Or Max. Trailer cannot be had with Heavy Duty payload package?"

IIRC you can't get the HD Payload Pkg. in a short bed. If you get the 6.5' bed you can get both the Max Tow & HD Payload on a Lariat, I did.

Last edited by Cover Dog; 08-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

You can only get the heavy duty payload package with a super cab 8 ft bed or a crew cab 6.5 bed. Also you can only get the 5.0 or the 3.5 with the heavy duty package. I have the crew 5.0.

Quick Reply: Can a price of a special order F150 still be negotiated?