General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Paint...

Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
B-Bomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Paint...

these stock rims? its a 03 screw 4.6 v8 2wd. i like these rims, but think they'd look cool black, can it be done? might seem like a retarded question, haha. thanks tho
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 PM

You can paint anything it's just a matter the steps you gotta take to make it last. If I were you I would go get them powder coated. You can paint them but I would get it done professionally. Spray can won't last.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
B-Bomb

do u have any idea how much a powder coatin would cost? i can get a quote but just curious. thanks by the way.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Not quite sure on price but There are a lot of choices, you could even do a matte black if you wanted to. I would say after they would sandblast and all that $75 - $100 I wouldn't think much more and I would say that would be the most durable if your going to pay to have it done anyway. Spraying would be cheaper if you were able to do a good job yourself but if you want to pay a bodyman to paint them I would say it would be a little more but not as durable as powdercoat.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 AM

that actually sounds pretty cool. so if you had them powder coated, what would you do about the center cap that covers the lug nuts? or would that get coated also? I know its just plastic, and I also know nothing about paint/powder so I thought I'd ask, or do you think it would look better without the cap all together? seems like a cheap alternative to buying new wheels just to get the same result (black) but then again what do I know? I'm new to the whole customizing thing, I usually keep my autos stock except maybe the radio
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 PM

I'm trying to do the same thing to mine. I just want to find some extra rims to get powder coated and have my stock set for when I need them. I think you should be able to paint match the centers to the powdercoat. they'd melt if you tried to coat them, so a little paint will work.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
B-Bomb

I'd probably just get rid of the center caps in all. I figured that if the rim is black, there really wont be huge notice that the center cap is missing ya know
Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 PM

Yah, skip them all together. I would either get aftermarket black lug nuts or just get chrome. If you paint them the paint will be screwed up and powder coating is put on thick and the socket wouldn't fit anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I Paint...