General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cabin leaks?

A few weeks ago, I washed my truck, and left a partially wet towel in the back passenger side bench seat. a few days pass and I go to move the towel and notice the seat is wet. I chalk it up to the wet towel.

Fast forward to the last few days and it has been raining steady (not heavy) but steady. I don't drive the truck but once a week so I didn't notice anything. It rained and then warmed up.

This evening I go to take it for spin down the road but I can't see out the windows because they are completely covered with humidly moisture. Lots of it. The rear passenger seat is wet, as is the carpet under the seat. I do not believe the seat back is wet or the rear door. The front seats and rear seat behind the driver seem dry. It's localized in the rear passenger side.

Is there a common failure or leak point in the F150 I should be looking for?

I have a manual sliding rear window. No power windows. I couldn't tell if the headliner was wet or not because the cabin just felt damp in general due to the condensation.

Any clues? I found one thread when searching that mentioned leaks, it was like from 2010 and was a leak in the drivers door from the hand rest. Completely different than mine.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

1) HINT/TIP: Put your vehicle information (year, cab type, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, etc.) in your sig' -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

2) HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the appropriate
< year of the F-150 >
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.

-REFERENCE-
The following users liked this post:
tanked_darren (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
1) HINT/TIP: Put your vehicle information (year, cab type, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, etc.) in your sig' -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

2) HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the appropriate
< year of the F-150 >
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.

-REFERENCE-
With all due respect:

This affects F150's of all vintage. I doubt this is a year specific issue. All views and thoughts are welcome. Hence the post in the General section.
The following users liked this post:
chickenwire (11-09-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Good luck
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I've read many cases where the high mount stop lamp above the window has leaked.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

This is an issue with mine, but I just hate dealing with it so I live with it right now. Its not a huge issue with mine unless we get a downpour. The only place that makes sense its coming in is my sliding window because my headliner is never wet.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Ive had:
- 3rd brake light leak: Replaced and ran a bead of sealant around it- seems to be fixed
- Satellite antennae leak: Ran a bead of sealant around it - seems to be fixed
- Now have a leak at the upper driver-side corner of the windshield.

I've come to the conclusion that my truck wants to be a submarine....
Old 11-09-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by broderp
With all due respect:

This affects F150's of all vintage. I doubt this is a year specific issue. All views and thoughts are welcome. Hence the post in the General section.
Well said,

FalconMan
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

broderp ... This affects F150's of all vintage. I doubt this is a year specific issue. All views and thoughts are welcome. Hence the post in the General section.
In that case, be sure to check your ...
  • Sirius/XM antenna (though that tends to afect the front of the cabin). *NOTE
  • CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light) gasket/seal. *NOTE

NOTE: Common issues with TSBs available.

Last edited by gDMJoe; 11-09-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the posts and comments.

When I sit and think this thru, I know a few things.
1. The rear passenger seat cushion is getting soaked
2. The rear passenger seat back is not getting to wet, except where it meats the cushion and wicks
3. The carpet below the seat is wet.
4. The doors are dry
5. There does not appear to be leaking from the door seal.

My first thought is that the water has to be coming from above. Water leaking down to soak the carpet would not get past the seat brackets and climb several inches to soak the seat.

I could be wrong, but even if the door seal leaked, it would not get on the seat cushion.. (To be proven yet, so this may not be correct)

So he logical place was up high. and here is what I found:

FIRST IMAGE: The seal for the brake light didn't look very healthy. I see it has been compromised in several spots, negating it's purpose.
SECOND IMAGE: The quick solution: a bead of silicone around the parameter of the opening AND he light (hard to see in this image)
THIRD IMAGE: After reassembly, I sealed the screw holes and ran a smooth bead of silicone around the gap between the light and the cabin.

In retrospect, had I had some gasket material handy, I could have just replaced made a new gasket, but I didn't. This method will definitely make replacing the bulbs much more difficult.

So, if this was my leak, then hopefully this took care of it. I'll have to wait until it rains again. Maybe a car wash or two is in order.
Attached Images    

Last edited by broderp; 11-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Cabin leaks?