General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 09:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Which brake pads?

I have recently started moving away from ceramic in favor of semi-metallic. A recent trip through the mountains with our Grand Caravan showed me that ceramic just can't handle the heat and extreme load needed. Switched to semi-metallic and the next trip was no problem. So, I am thinking of going with semi-metallic on the F150 when I change. Any thoughts from the members here?
Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I think you should put ALL the truck's details into your signature as this page explains:

(click this text)

Is there some reason you don't think Ford/MC brakes are best?
Old 05-02-2022, 12:49 PM

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Are any Ford brake pads made in the USA? I know a lot of ford brake pads were/are made in mexico. I've been told the rotors (slugs) are mfg in Taiwan, then turned in the US, does anyone know if this is accurate?
Old 05-02-2022, 03:33 PM
has left the building

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Originally Posted by pawprint
Are any Ford brake pads made in the USA? I know a lot of ford brake pads were/are made in mexico. I've been told the rotors (slugs) are mfg in Taiwan, then turned in the US, does anyone know if this is accurate?
When I saw you were the most recent post in this thread I tuned in only to see if you were making something out of a brake pad thread that could be an argument.
It is a valid question, however considering the source it's meant to start a different conversation to close the thread.
Thanks for not disappointing us.
The following 2 users liked this post by 16IngotFX4:
JS2003 (05-03-2022), pete7713 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 04:00 PM
Village Idjit

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

As a former employee of the Performance Friction Company - aka PFC Brakes, I do recommend their products. American made. Good quality control protocols. The semi metallic line is very reasonably priced.

Police F150's all get a set of PFC brakes (I think they also get PFC rotors but on that I am NOT positive)

FWIW - PFC rotors are also cast in the USA, machined in house, and treated locally. Every pad and rotor has eyes on it multiple times through the process.

The brake pad HARDWARE is not made in the USA.
The following 2 users liked this post by hijack73:
ChrisAttebery (07-14-2022), pawprint (05-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 06:29 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I'll go ahead and post your web page here - https://pfcbrakes.com/

I have a brake question that I've wondered about but it is super simple. I've made all of my brakes last very long so I've never actually bought a new set of rotors that have integral hubs. The various pictures all seem to show the hub with a bearing race already installed. Is this the case or does a person need to install outer races in the hubs? Or, does a person use just the bearing and cage from a bearing set in the already installed outer race?

I've wondered because usually bearings are bought in complete sets, races matched to rollers.

Here's an example. (p.s. the number of choices of brake rotor is incredible. So many manufacturers....)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1896&jsn=699

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1672&jsn=748
Old 05-02-2022, 07:32 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDnutt
I have recently started moving away from ceramic in favor of semi-metallic. A recent trip through the mountains with our Grand Caravan showed me that ceramic just can't handle the heat and extreme load needed. Switched to semi-metallic and the next trip was no problem. So, I am thinking of going with semi-metallic on the F150 when I change. Any thoughts from the members here?
I tow a 23' TT (5500lbs) through the mountains. I was looking for pads that would hold up to the excessive heat. These pads have been Excellent.

Power Stop Z36 Truck & Tow Brake Pads | AutoAnything™

Just adding a link to show what I'm talking about. They are available from several different parts outlets for price comparison.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:53 PM
Village Idjit

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
I'll go ahead and post your web page here - https://pfcbrakes.com/

I have a brake question that I've wondered about but it is super simple. I've made all of my brakes last very long so I've never actually bought a new set of rotors that have integral hubs. The various pictures all seem to show the hub with a bearing race already installed. Is this the case or does a person need to install outer races in the hubs? Or, does a person use just the bearing and cage from a bearing set in the already installed outer race?

I've wondered because usually bearings are bought in complete sets, races matched to rollers.

Here's an example. (p.s. the number of choices of brake rotor is incredible. So many manufacturers....)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1896&jsn=699

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=1672&jsn=748

I only worked there a few months and I wasn't involved in the rotor department (unless it was asking them where they had put something that I needed to receive or inventory) but I do know that finished rotors were MOSTLY that - just finished rotors (and tone rings) with no races or bearings. I spent the bulk of my time in the mix room (where raw materials were mixed into friction material) and poking around over by pad assembly.

And looking for caliper castings. Those things were never where they were supposed to be.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:35 PM

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 16IngotFX4
When I saw you were the most recent post in this thread I tuned in only to see if you were making something out of a brake pad thread that could be an argument.
It is a valid question, however considering the source it's meant to start a different conversation to close the thread.
Thanks for not disappointing us.
When I saw you posted in this thread, I tuned in to see if you were making something out of being made in the USA, you know, how it doesn't matter, etc. Thanks for demonstrating your expertise, I know we all count on it, you don't disappoint.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (05-16-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 11:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve83 - I am looking at the Motorcraft but they too have options. Ceramic, Semi-met., and Organic are all Motorcraft options. Can't speak to Motorcraft quality as I've had other aftermarket parts last longer on many of my Ford vehicles.

My intention was to see what other have used and to see what they thought of them. I will not be turning the rotors, just a good de-glaze and new pads. Looking at semi-metallic, the PowerStop and PFC look interesting. Also, just installed a set of Raybestos Hybrid pads on our Equinox and they are working well.
I think the semi-metallic will help with heat on the rotors...

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Which brake pads?