Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic car washes... are they really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts
Default Automatic car washes... are they really that bad?

I hear stories about how automated car washes are horrible for your paint. Some even rip off antennas, mirrors, etc...

I live in an apt now, so I don't have a driveway to a house I can hand wash my truck. Trust me, if I did, I wouldn't even be posting this. Anyways, although I've only been using automated car washes for 6 years, I've never once had an issue. I always fold in my mirrors, remove my antenna, and run my truck through the wash. Once I'm out, I park where the vacuums are and dry my truck off with a shamee. I then vacuum my floors and seats (cloth) and drive it home. Once home, I use a liquid detailer, then a liquid wax (every 3-4 washes), then clean my wheels and add tire shine to the tires, and I'm done. Never had swirl issues, no mirrors or antennas being ripped off, nothing.

The reason I never use the touchless car wash is because it never cleans my truck very well. Then I'm trying to dry my truck (which the blowers do a s**t job of) and I'm rubbing dirt into the paint. Plus, the lack of vacuums in these places is a bit irritating.

What is everybody else doing? What about if you live in an apartment, how do you clean your truck?
Old 10-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Oh boy. Prepare for some horror stories
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM

I forgot to add, I sometimes will go to those washes where you put in some quarters and hand wash your vehicle yourself. My only beef with those is that stupid hose is constantly beating my truck when I'm using the foam brush. It's hard to get a good scrub and hold the hose from wacking my truck at the same time.

Ughhhhh, first world problem I suppose haha.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Sarge

Received 1,643 Likes on 797 Posts

Your truck is white so the marring, swirls and holograms coming from those things beating on your paint won't show up as bad......

Our city has a contract with one of the local car wash places that we take our patrol cars. I die a little inside when I have to take one through. Maybe it's because I've been detailing for years and have made lots of money fixing those car wash scratches but my suggestion is not only don't do it, don't even think about it.

Buy a couple of buckets, a microfiber wash mitt and go to the do it yourself car wash at night or during a slow time and hand wash your vehicle. Also don't use that foam brush, people use them on their wheels, tires and underside of the car so you are rubbing all their crap that came off their car on to your paint.
The following users liked this post:
speeddemon0712 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
Your truck is white so the marring, swirls and holograms coming from those things beating on your paint won't show up as bad......

Our city has a contract with one of the local car wash places that we take our patrol cars. I die a little inside when I have to take one through. Maybe it's because I've been detailing for years and have made lots of money fixing those car wash scratches but my suggestion is not only don't do it, don't even think about it.

Buy a couple of buckets, a microfiber wash mitt and go to the do it yourself car wash at night or during a slow time and hand wash your vehicle. Also don't use that foam brush, people use them on their wheels, tires and underside of the car so you are rubbing all their crap that came off their car on to your paint.
I do have a tendancy to buy white vehicles, so yeah I can understand that. Somebody else told me to do the same thing. I've thought about it but never acted. I'll have to try that, it definitely seems like the best route to go to save my paint in the long run.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Here's what I sometimes do:

Go to local car wash, enter a DIY bay, insert $2.00 and put a nice layer of soapy water on the truck, then use the remainder to fill my bucket that I bring with me.

Wash the truck by hand really good.

Insert $2.00 more bucks and use the rinse cycle to clean the truck off and clean out my bucket and sponge.

Best wash you can get, and it only costs $4.00.

Plus, it allows you to get the road salt off the undercarriage with high pressure rinse during winter.
The following 3 users liked this post by WXman:
Jack-Daniel (10-11-2016), JAMADOR (10-11-2016), speeddemon0712 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Sarge

Originally Posted by speeddemon0712
I do have a tendancy to buy white vehicles, so yeah I can understand that. Somebody else told me to do the same thing. I've thought about it but never acted. I'll have to try that, it definitely seems like the best route to go to save my paint in the long run.
Honestly, it really depends on how much effort you want to put into it. The average person doesn't look at swirls and scratches the way a car enthusiast does and a very small percentage of car enthusiasts look at paint the way I do. It's a blessing and a curse to have the "detailer's eye" lol

There are horror stories of people losing mirrors, dents, whipping antennas etc...but most likely the worst you're going to end up with is surface scratches and if they don't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want nice, glossy, deep paint, hand wash it. All those micro scratches and swirls actually take away from the gloss and depth of the shine.
The following users liked this post:
speeddemon0712 (10-11-2016)

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2016, 02:39 PM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Calling 650nutkase! Come out!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Sarge

This is an example of what I'm talking about. This is a 6k mile Roush Mustang 427R I detailed this weekend. The entire car looked like it had 100k miles worth of nobody caring about it's paint. I'd bet anything the only time this thing was washed prior to the current owner was a car wash with all the brushes.

Notice all the marring, and scratches, especially towards the front of the hood.
Name:  20161009_074003_zpsbwhetkzs.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  261.6 KB

Here you can see it a little better under the halogen after I hit it with compound.
Name:  20161009_074742_zps9tu9mwmh.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  221.0 KB

You can really see the difference with the led light.
Name:  20161009_203055_zpsaqwhzqjq.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  398.9 KB

Little bit of bragging but more of an example of what those things do.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by WXman
Here's what I sometimes do:

Go to local car wash, enter a DIY bay, insert $2.00 and put a nice layer of soapy water on the truck, then use the remainder to fill my bucket that I bring with me.

Wash the truck by hand really good.

Insert $2.00 more bucks and use the rinse cycle to clean the truck off and clean out my bucket and sponge.

Best wash you can get, and it only costs $4.00.

Plus, it allows you to get the road salt off the undercarriage with high pressure rinse during winter.
I keep hearing this more and more, I will have to try it. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply: Automatic car washes... are they really that bad?