General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Start/Stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Auto Start/Stop

I guess everybody else already knows this but I've been curious about the start/stop and the air conditioner. It has just warmed up enough here for me to get my answer. I've just noticed that the engine stops when the AC comes on and starts back when the AC cycles off. It gets a little warm in the cab before the AC cycles on. I guess if I sat with my foot on the brake this cycling would go on forever.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Yep that's the way it works. I always try to remember to turn Auto Start/Stop as the truck would no sooner turn off before starting again for me in the summer. The truck should keep running if you don't push the brake pedal too hard. It doesn't work out most o the time for me as I live in a hilly area so it takes more brake pressure to keep the truck stopped.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts

I guess I've sort of made a game out of auto start/stop. I live in a rural area and have only been in the city one time since I've had my truck. Driving in small towns I've pretty much learned how to time the lights. When I see I'm going to catch a red light I nearly stop a few feet short of the light and kind of creep up without having to come to a complete stop. All this has nothing to do with my distaste for the feature but that I just enjoy beating it at it's own game. I may even be increasing my gas mileage by not having to start from a complete stop.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

If your AC is on, at a stop, and your auto stop engages, the AC fan speed will die down a little. When the truck senses it's getting to warm in the cabin, it'll start the engine back up the get the fan speed back up and will remain on if you never moved. However, if you moved up a bit and then stop, it may auto stop again.

You could also scroll thru the cluster menu and it'll show you the reason as to why the engine started back up: due to cooling/heating, seatbelt, etc.