General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATR Tires for my 2023 F150 Lariat 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ATR Tires for my 2023 F150 Lariat 4x4

I have a 2023 F150 4x4 Lariat (6.5’ bed) that will deliver in a couple weeks. I want to upgrade/change the tires to a tire with a semi aggressive look and stance. I am going to put a 2” level kit on the new truck as well. I want a tire that looks semi aggressive but……. Has good road characteristics/manners in relation to ride and noise as well. I am looking in the size of 295/60/20 or 285/65/20. I know this is a LT tire and some sacrifices have to made over a smaller pure road tire. I am road driving over 90 percent of the time and my off road is mainly down decent 2 track paths while hunting. I’m not an off roader unless my hunting ventures take me there. I am in the south and snow is not a real issue as I may see snow a couple times a year. The snow really only last a couple days on the ground when it does snow. I have done a search here and seen a lot of opinions. Anyway starting my own thread for more opinions or suggestions. Here is what I have kind of zeroed in on so far…..

1) Toyo AT3 Open Country…..read a lot of good things on these tires. Worried about road noise

2) Falken Wlidpeak AT3…… they are about 8/9 pounds heavier than all my other selections per tire at 67/69 pounds. Not sure how that will translate into performance on the truck. Lots of positive reviews on this tire though.

3) Yokohama Geolander AT G015….. These seem to have a lot of good reviews regarding low noise on the road. Not quite as aggressive looking as my other choices. A real front runner because of low road noise.

4) Cooper Discover AT3….. seen a lot of mixed reviews on this tire. Low road noise is mentioned a lot when reading up on this tire and that’s why they made my list.

I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Buckhorn70; 03-14-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:48 PM

Received 485 Likes on 225 Posts

I got the Wildpeaks 2 weeks ago and so far very happy with them but haven't had enough snow for any real test in that. However, highway at 75mph was smooth and quiet, and no hydroplaning or slipping in severe rain. My MPG went up a bit too. Previously had on the OEM Goodyear Wranglers and they were pretty low on tread (they were still on the truck when I bought it in September).
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (03-15-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 04:21 PM

Received 926 Likes on 699 Posts

A load range E on a 20" OEM wheel is going to be a heavy setup. I had 275/60R20 Duratracs, which were only 46 lbs, on my stock 20" wheels and it was still 92 lbs. You're gunna be at 110+ lbs I bet. My LT315/70R17 KO2 raptor takeoffs come in at like 93 lbs mounted on VenomRex wheels.

I would try to maybe find a load range C tire if you can. May not be the size you want but it will be lighter and you can run them at lower pressure than the LT E range.

I dont have any input on those specific tires. I am considering a Toyo Open Country in 35x11.5R17 myself.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:07 PM

Received 10,109 Likes on 6,532 Posts

You're in luck, I think. At this very moment, I have both your top two picks. I have the Toyo's on my 150 at 305/70/17. I really like them, ride well, and really not very loud. Great traction on dirt, gravel, ice, snow, and wet.
The Falkens, I have on my Ranger, 2004 RWD with LSD, 265/75/16. These are the AT3W, slightly different than the regular AT3, but well worth it. Very good traction, maybe a bit better than the Toyo's in the same conditions, not loud at all and ride nicely.
I've had Coopers, two different sets, AT3, and IMO, I wouldn't walk across the street for them. Around 20K or so, both sets got loud, and wear was more than the other two I commented on. Just not a tire I'll ever get again.
Keep in mind, that for me, the severe winter rating is important, even though the two I like would be good for even southern lads..

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 03-15-2023 at 02:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnday in BFE:
Jacob416 (03-21-2023), roxynoodle (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday in BFE
You're in luck, I think. At this very moment, I have both your top two picks. I have the Toyo's on my 150 at 305/70/17. I really like them, ride well, and really not very loud. Great traction on dirt, gravel, ice, snow, and wet.
The Falkens, I have on my Ranger, 2004 RWD with LSD, 265/75/16. These are the AT3W, slightly different than the regular AT3, but well worth it. Very good traction, maybe a bit better than the Toyo's in the same conditions, not loud at all and ride nicely.
I've had Coopers, two different sets, AT3, and IMO, I wouldn't walk across the street for them. Around 20K or so, both sets got loud, and wear was more than the other two I commented on. Just not a tire I'll ever get again.
Keep in mind, that for me, the severe winter rating is important, even though the two I like would be good for even southern lads..
Thanks….. I am leaning toward the Falken Wildpeaks or the Yokohama Geolander at the moment. Only concern regarding the Wildpeaks is the weight as they are heavier than others in their respected tire size. I am not sure how the extra 8 pounds or so will affect performance or MPG on my truck. The Geolander’s get good reviews on the lower noise levels on the Highway for road noise which makes them a favorite as well.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:48 PM

Received 10,109 Likes on 6,532 Posts

I'm no doubt one of the very few that really doesn't pay a lot of attention to the weight, perhaps I should. I can tell you those Toyo's I have ARE heavy even with aftermarket aluminum wheels. I tend to buy the best I can simply by my requirements for traction in my type of weather conditions. Maybe I'm all wet, and just don't realize it.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM

Received 485 Likes on 225 Posts

I've had the same experience with Coopers on previous trucks. They all seem to get very loud over time and they can start cupping too. They seem to need rotated a lot.

I was also interested in the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus and the Toyos.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations on your new truck! Choosing the right tire can make a big difference in the performance and appearance of your vehicle. Based on your requirements, here are my recommendations:
  1. Toyo Open Country A/T III: This tire has a great balance of on-road and off-road capabilities. It offers good traction on wet and dry roads and is known for its durability. However, it may produce some road noise.
  2. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W: This tire is a popular choice for its rugged appearance and solid performance on and off the road. It offers good traction in various weather conditions and has a good tread life. It is a bit heavier, which may impact fuel efficiency.
  3. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015: This tire is known for its low road noise, making it a great option for those who prioritize comfort and quietness. It also offers good wet and dry traction and is designed for long-lasting tread life.
  4. Michelin Defender LTX M/S: This tire is a great all-around option for trucks that do more on-road driving. It offers a comfortable ride, low road noise, and good handling in various weather conditions. It also has a long tread life.
Ultimately, the best tire for you will depend on your specific needs and driving habits. I recommend considering factors like tread life, road noise, handling, and traction when making your decision. You may also want to read customer reviews to get an idea of other drivers' experiences with different tires.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:48 PM

Received 1,295 Likes on 908 Posts

I have 26,000 miles on my Toyo's and am satisfied with them. They make a little noise, but all AT tires do. I've had Cooper's in the past and they are no louder than them. Generally speaking the more aggressive the tread, the more noise you get.

FWIW, lots of tires are pretty quiet when new. But once you get to a certain point they get louder. And the decible level increases until they are worn out. Even aggressive mud tires aren't too bad when new. If you can't live with some noise, buy a street tire.

Quick Reply: ATR Tires for my 2023 F150 Lariat 4x4