Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Think Ford is the Only One With Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Default You Think Ford is the Only One With Problems?

Everyone has problems. The biggest problem is getting them to acknowledge it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...f3w?li=BBnbfcN

Ssshhhh don't tell anyone.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep. Especially redesigns when they hit every 5 years, or new engines. I've been to all the forums, it's all the same everywhere. Most people are inclined to take their problem and put it on a forum rather than a positive experience.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwprotek
Yep. Especially redesigns when they hit every 5 years, or new engines. I've been to all the forums, it's all the same everywhere. Most people are inclined to take their problem and put it on a forum rather than a positive experience.
And that...is a fact!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Why not build a good platform, improve upon until near perfection and.....done.
Seems that the constant, style/mechanical/functional design change every 4-5 years just keeps a continuous flow of issues coming.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by SCORGE
Seems that the constant, style/mechanical/functional design change every 4-5 years just keeps a continuous flow of issues coming.

Agreed, my RIP 2014 was an example of perfection. They had the bugs(well most of them) ironed out by then, had no mechanical issues, just software related which was easily resolved. Only issue I still had was the remote start antenna needed to be relocated, which they resolved later during the MY builds. Loved that truck and was sad to see it wrecked.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

Sounds good, but if Ford was still selling their 1997 design, and everyone else is selling their 2017 design, what do you think would happen?

People might as well run their 1997 until the wheels fall off, why bother buying a new version that looks like the old version?

"Innovate or die" is a well-known business philosophy and practice. Google it.
The following users liked this post:
SCORGE (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Most of the manufacturers have gotten pretty good at building new platforms with minimal issues. Yes, they have problems but the vast majority are very minor and are simple to fix.
The major issues are usually <5% of the vehicles produced, which in my opinion is pretty damn good.
Plus, adding new tech, new materials, and new body styles keeps the demand up. Look at how many people are getting suckered into trading their trucks in 1-2 years after buying them (including me...never again)...especially when the 2015s came out. Tons of people traded in 2014s for a 2015 just because suddenly their 1 year old truck looked dated. I traded my 2010 in on a 2012 because I was tired of the old 5.4L and wanted one of the new motors. Manufacturers make a killing because of this.
SCORGE (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

I agree completely with this however when done exactly this way, some STILL complain. Take Toyota for instance.... The new Tundra is really nice, not as nice amenities/tech wise as out truck, and the resale is among the highest in the class, yet it is talked negatively about because of the "old" drive train. The wrapper is all new, but the chassis is considered old or outdated. They do just what you asked...perfect the platform. I dunno....cant please them all I guess.
SCORGE (05-14-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

The machinery used to make the parts, especially body parts, wears out in a relatively short time and must be replaced. It is just as easy to redesign the body while replacing the machinery. The frames and basic drive train often are the same through several body style changes.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:26 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by All Hat No Cattle
People might as well run their 1997 until the wheels fall off, why bother buying a new version that looks like the old version?
This is basically what I do -- buy an established make/model/year with a good track record and drive it until the wheels fall off. Sound strategy. Wheels hardly ever actually fall off.