General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 F-150 Engine Dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 F-150 Engine Dies

I have a 1984 F-150 that has 302. The truck will run when in park but when I put it in drive and take off it will run for about 5-10 minutes then just die. I will try to crank it and nothing. Then after 10-15 minutes it will crank right up and drive for another 5-10 minutes. I am completely stumped and I am not sure what is wrong. I do know that there are several hoses by the carb that have been cut and have screws in them. Also the side tank has been removed and the truck is running off the back tank only. Any help that you can provide is appreciated. I have taken some pictures to show the cut hoses.

This is a cut hose to the right and below the fuel filter. When I pulled the screw out it started leaking fuel.

This is cut hose that it on the right side of the carb. When the screw was pulled nothing leaked.

I am not sure what this is. I think it is the choke. After I drove the truck home I noticed that the air cleaner was not on right so I put it on correctly and tightened the butterfly nut and the wire that was here turned red and burned off. Will this affect the carb?

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 PM
AutoXer

Good Luck.

You either need to get a Haynes manual to fix the cut lines and correctly connect them or take it to a mechanic.

The wire was probably important to, where does the other end of the wire go to?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 PM

That wire is for an electric choke. I threw that crap away and bought a $10 manual choke conversion from Advance Auto for my 86's Holley.

seeing as its an older truck, go through all your wires, its VERY possible you have a bad ground somewhere, my old 83 ranger would do this until I replaced the bad ground wire, then no more problems. also check the positive cable from the battery all the way to starter.

If you're at ALL close to Tampa Florida, I'm happy to come help you try and sort it out. troubleshooting is a strong point for me.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by country4x4
That wire is for an electric choke. I threw that crap away and bought a $10 manual choke conversion from Advance Auto for my 86's Holley.

seeing as its an older truck, go through all your wires, its VERY possible you have a bad ground somewhere, my old 83 ranger would do this until I replaced the bad ground wire, then no more problems. also check the positive cable from the battery all the way to starter.

If you're at ALL close to Tampa Florida, I'm happy to come help you try and sort it out. troubleshooting is a strong point for me.
I will look in to the manual choke and also check the positive cable. Appreciate the offer for help but I am located in Texas, I guess I could add that to my profile.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by country4x4

Electric choke was nothing but a problem on my'84 when it got older, do the manual choke conversion. Good advise!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

So, you drove the truck home and it was fine? Then you set fire to the choke wire and it won't run right? Fix the choke wire, they don't run very well with the choke stuck shut.

Quick Reply: 84 F-150 Engine Dies