General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 5.4 sounds like a diesel at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 5.4 sounds like a diesel at idle

Hi all. Came across this site while researching cam phasers. Very informative site. Been searching for a newer model F150 for some time and found one the other day at the local Chevy dealership. 2008 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L, 70k miles.

Took it for a spin ran great. Got back to the stop sign before the dealership and the thing sounded like a powerstroke while I was stopped. Engine didn't die but cam close. Gave it a little gas and problem solved. Got it back to the dealership and said keep me updated on what the problem is.

They called and said the cam phasers were out. One week later they installed new phasers, solenoids, and timing chain. Mechanic said the engine was very clean, no sludge etc. Test drove it again today. Ran great until warm and the exact same problem.

The oil pressure gauge never moves. Sometimes when you roll up to a stop it wont do it, but once you put it in reverse to put a little pull on the engine it will do it. Give it a little gas and its gone. Seem to happen every time you put a little pull on the engine.

I really love this truck and want to buy it once this issue is resolved. You guys have any experience with this? Could it be a coil pack?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Do you know if the vct solenoids were changed out? Are you talking about oil pressure dropping? Or the truck dying.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 PM

VCT solenoids are what control the cam phasers? If so, yes they were change with the phasers. When the truck starts the loud rough idle the pressure guage never changes. When the truck is running smooth vs. running rough, I see no change is the pressure guage reading.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an 05 that sounded like a diesel at idle like yours. It always bothered me but several shops and the dealership said it wasn't a problem that would affect the engine. I've read about a lot of people spending money to have this fixed but the noise seems to nearly always come back. Sorry this isn't much help but the problem really bothered me too when I had that truck.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM

I have a hard time believing that when this is doing it that it will not hurt the engine. Sounds like it is misfiring. Loud clanking and the whole truck shakes. So loud its embarrassing when you come to a stop. It is what it is would not be a acceptable answer for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoytUSA
I have a hard time believing that when this is doing it that it will not hurt the engine. Sounds like it is misfiring. Loud clanking and the whole truck shakes. So loud its embarrassing when you come to a stop. It is what it is would not be a acceptable answer for me.
His must be a different problem because mine just made a noise and it never affected the way it ran. The noise was always the same level and it was more of a small tick that mimicked a diesel.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM

Give it a touch of gas at the knocking stops. Let it go back to idle and idles fine. Drop it in reverse to put the engine under a little pull and the knocking starts again.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After spending almost 2k changing the cam phasers,timing chain,cam sensors, Vct sensors,changing spark plugs,and all the coil packs my truck finally quit sounding like a diesel but didn't take long for the annoying tapping to come back so thats why I got rid of that 5.4 never again.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Anyone think it could be a bad coil pack or packs? Seems to be all that is really left.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM

or fuel injector?

Quick Reply: 2008 5.4 sounds like a diesel at idle