Topic Sponsor
Special Edition Models Discussion of all of the special trucks. Saleen, Harley Davidson, Lightning, Roush, etc.

External Fuel pump installation....help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Fuel pump installation....help!

I have a 2012 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson edition. I was thinking of installing this external fuel pump somewhere on the truck and I was hoping you might help me find a good location. This pump would be switched. It would not have power all the time and it is a 12V pump, so it runs off the truck battery. The purpose is to fill the tank when unconventional fuel pumps at the gas station may not be available. Maybe they are down or maybe they aren't open, or maybe there isn't one nearby and if I had an external tank in the bed...(I am just imagining, that is not where I plan on pumping into - I was thinking I would need to have a good safe place to be able to put that fuel inside the factory regular tank and I wonder if you all could give me some pointers on where I can iput that fuel into the 29 gal tank?
Thanks for your guidance and comments.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:31 PM
Keyser Soze

Received 892 Likes on 483 Posts

Do not understand what you're trying to do here.....!
Old 11-03-2022, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets say that I have a tank in my bed that I want to fill with fuel that I am pumping out of a storage unit that we have here on the farm. I want to be able to find a place to mount this fuel pump, that is run off 12V, and I am going to add a switch to it - so I can turn it off and on - and then the hope was that I would pump from the storage tank into the back of the pickup truck bed, where I would have another temporary storage tank - well, I bought this pump = I know it will work - I just can't seem to find a good place to mount it -
additionally, I was asking that if I had this storage facility/tank on the farm - and I wanted to pump fuel into my f-150 tank I wondered if there was a "best" place to put a line in which would lead into the factory tank of the truck - I don't want to just poke a hole near the regular filing location becasue I assume it is vacuum or pressure regulated and probably monitored with a sensor -
so I was asking if there was a safe place for me to make an inlet which would not be factory into the gas tank? if so, where would that location be without affecting the pressure sensors or tank guage?
Old 11-25-2022, 09:45 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pulshrk
Lets say that I have a tank in my bed that I want to fill with fuel that I am pumping out of a storage unit that we have here on the farm. I want to be able to find a place to mount this fuel pump, that is run off 12V, and I am going to add a switch to it - so I can turn it off and on - and then the hope was that I would pump from the storage tank into the back of the pickup truck bed, where I would have another temporary storage tank - well, I bought this pump = I know it will work - I just can't seem to find a good place to mount it -
additionally, I was asking that if I had this storage facility/tank on the farm - and I wanted to pump fuel into my f-150 tank I wondered if there was a "best" place to put a line in which would lead into the factory tank of the truck - I don't want to just poke a hole near the regular filing location becasue I assume it is vacuum or pressure regulated and probably monitored with a sensor -
so I was asking if there was a safe place for me to make an inlet which would not be factory into the gas tank? if so, where would that location be without affecting the pressure sensors or tank guage?
Should be do-able with a standard lift or transfer pump I would think. You'll probably need to drop it in the top of the tank and should use a check valve as well as a fuel-compatible on/off valve going to your transfer pump. Maybe mounted to the frame?

Don't get caught running red diesel in your on-road vehicle BTW!

Quick Reply: External Fuel pump installation....help!