Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Stock identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock identification

Hello everyone! I have a question about my '84 f150. It is a flareside but I am 99.98% sure that it is not factory. The gentleman I bought it from hinted that him and his son put it on, and that is reinforced by the fact that it takes A WHILE to get gas in this thing (the fuel filler tube runs in a weird way). I have no clue what the bed is off of but I have an original 1984 ford shop manual with paint, transmission, body, etc. codes. I am looking for the tag that contains all those numbers. I know on newer fords that it is in the door jam on the driver side. I looked on mine and there is no sign of it (I looked on the passenger side also). I even checked on the glove box door, and nothing but a tag telling me how to jack the truck up. I do not think that this is the original paint job, so I am starting to think that it was either taken off, and not replaced, or painted over and I am just missing it. I have the VIN and have looked up a few things from it, but would still like to know the original specs so I can maybe go back to them. Is there any other way I can get those paint, body, etc. numbers? Or am I just out of luck? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

At least in the 70's the vin was riveted to the door and more build info such as axles and transmission was on a sticker on the door jam, driver's side. I'm sure you're not blind, so it was likely removed or underneath a bunch of paint. I don't think it would tell you what type of bed you should have anyhow. Not sure how you can figure out what bed you should have.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The '80-up VC label is on the driver's B-pillar in the door jamb, except on 4-door trucks, when it's on the rear edge of the driver's door. This is what it looks like:

(phone app link)

Even painted-over, you'd still see the outline of the label, and you'd be able to scrape the paint off with a fingernail. So it was probably removed. This caption explains how to read the codes (if you find the label), but there's not much you can't already see:

(phone app link)

If the cab or bed was repainted, you'd see the original paint color on the firewall behind the engine, under the rockers, in the door jambs, inside the rear wheelwells, between the cab & bed, under the carpet, &/or on the firewall under the dash forward of the sound matting. If the truck was originally a long bed, you'd see evidence of the frame being cut & welded, but it would be harder to tell if it was originally a short bed fleetside. Post several pics of what you find under the truck, including the fuel filler(s). The more clear pics you post, the more likely we can figure out what's not original.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help! Might try and get some pictures later today, but going on to be out of town for a bit. So if I can't get any today, it will be a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Stock identification