Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Still won't run right

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still won't run right

We have a 1986 F150 with the fuel injected 302.

Got it to run finally but now when you take off and give it some gas it chugs and about dies until you push in the clutch then it will idle fine.

We've changed both fuel filters and now the fuel pump because when we unhooked the fuel line it was just dribbling out when we ran the fuel pump. Fixed that problem with the fuel pump but it still won't run right.

Any ideas would be awesome.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Location: cold hill ky, just the other side of hell's outhouse:)

Originally Posted by golden-lariat
We have a 1986 F150 with the fuel injected 302.

Got it to run finally but now when you take off and give it some gas it chugs and about dies until you push in the clutch then it will idle fine.

We've changed both fuel filters and now the fuel pump because when we unhooked the fuel line it was just dribbling out when we ran the fuel pump. Fixed that problem with the fuel pump but it still won't run right.

Any ideas would be awesome.
change wires and plugs? use accel plug wires, check distributer and coil, fuel injectors? all of these things could contribute and lose power under load.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your distributor and see if tight. had that happen on BB Bronco.....wouldn't get out of it's own way.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Are your in tank fuel pumps working? If not the system will idle OK but will be starved for fuel at higher RPMs. Also the high pressure pump will make a noticeably loud whine if the tank pump(s) don't feed enough fuel.

Disconnect the tank fuel lines from the rear of selector valve. The ones you want are the 2 that are larger in diameter. Run them into a jar or gas can. Toggle the ignition key on an off several times as the fuel pumps will only run for 2 or 3 seconds if the engine is not started. You can jumper the fuel relay to force the pumps to stay on but I don't think that is necessary. Switch to the other tank and repeat.

There is a spec of how many ounces / min. you should get. I don't remember off the top of my head but you will know if they are working or not.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM

egr valve solenoid?? this same thing happened with my 86 351w and I pulled the vacume line off the egr valve and she ran fine until i got another one
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
misses the 86 f-150.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try replacing the stater (yes stater not starter) my friends automatic 86 did the same when the engine warmed up. swaped out the stater and the thing ran like a champ.

Quick Reply: Still won't run right