Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

spindle nuts

Old 06-29-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spindle nuts

I have a 1986 f150 i6 4wd. I changed out the brake discs and managed to misplace the spindle nuts while doing so. Got new ones from Warn (nut->locking washer->nut), but no matter how much I spin the wheel and crank on the nut, I can't get the first nut down far enough to be anywhere close to getting the second nut on. I'm 1/2" short, maybe more. when I pull it apart the races all look nicely seated. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Has anyone here run into this problem before?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Post pics. The backs of the hubs, the bare spindles, the rotors, the assembly NOT fitting together...
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos

In the meantime, browse the relevant photos in this album:

(phone app link)
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 PM

Default still no progress

Sorry it took so long to do this. Life, right?
A spindle with nothing on it:

a look at the rotor(seems like there might be a gap in there, but there isn't):

A look at the outer race. If I'm doing something wrong it seems like it would have to be here. it is smashed down as far as I can get it to go. To the point where I was mashing on it way harder than people should mash on berings:

Rear seal and bering:

outer bering sitting on the spindle nut:

The crux of the issue:

Above is where it first becomes very evident that something is not right. That is one spindle nut on. There is supposed to be room on those threads for a keyed washer and another nut, but there isn't. I'm at my wit's end and I've taken this on and off so many times. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've taken the rotors to a napa and compared with their pre-hubbed set and it is the same. I've had smarter people than me look at the race placement and it looks right to them. I dunno what the deal is and its making me nuts.
Just for fun, here is the c clip that makes me hate life for at least 30 minutes every time I have to take this crap off again:

Also, here is a link tot he gallery with some more angles of some of the same stuff, for anyone intereted:
f150 gallery
Thanks in advance for any insights.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:40 PM

When you replaced the rotor, did you also replace the bearings or their outer races? When you crank down that first nut, will the rotor still turn?

That snap ring should be VERY easy to R&I with common snap-ring pliers. To install, you have to reach behind the knuckle & push the u-joint outward (toward you) to expose the ring's groove. But you shouldn't be installing it until the WB nuts are set, and the hub lock is installed.

Not that it would affect the problem you're describing, but it looks like you're putting the wrong nut on first. I don't see a pin sticking out of it. Did you read the captions in that photo album?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:26 PM

There is kind of a lot of pictures in there. While I was going over it with my wife, she reached in and pulled out the outer bering race and asked if that wasn't supposed to be pressed in better. I'm starting to think I'm just dumb as ****. I'm pretty sure the crux of my problem is that I haven't pounded that race down far enough or, you know, at all.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Yes, the races need to be driven into the hub. It's best to use a driver tool set, like this:

(phone app link)

There are lots of pics in that album because there's a lot to know about the subject before you dive off into it.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 PM

ok.....so..... what we have here is a case of the truth being dumber than anything i could make up: What ive learned is that to properly seat a new race, must first beat out the old one. derp!
Old 08-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Can't argue with that!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:01 PM
All Fords

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iamsofaking
ok.....so..... what we have here is a case of the truth being dumber than anything i could make up: What ive learned is that to properly seat a new race, must first beat out the old one. derp!
Woot. Yep, remove old race first. Yea stuff happens.

Have you gotten it back together yet??

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spindle nuts