Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Shock Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Leak

I have an 85 f150 and one of the rear shocks has a leak in it. It appears to be oil but it has been leaking straight for about 2 weeks and not sure why its not empty haha. Anyways I am looking for a replacement but I have already purchased and got the wrong one. The truck appears to have a lift on it, not sure what type of how high and there are a total of 4 shocks in the back. 2 of them are where normal car shocks would be but the other 2 are sitting right near the frame at about a 20-30 degree angle. Never seen anythng like it before but one of those is the one thats leaking. I was looking at skyjackers, ranchos, rough country, tuff country but the skyjackers I got were too big and were hydros any way. i think I need Nitros. I was also looking at how I am supposed to get the stupid things off the truck since it is so rusted and I dont want to cut them. Any shock suggestions?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The 4 shock set up is designed to increase rearend stability and control wheel hop. While there are a great many shock manufacturers, Monroe, KYB, and Gabriel are the most popular. Replacement cost is a bit more than stock units, but quality/durability is better than OEM. Spax, Bilstein, and Koni offer higher performance "racing" shocks that are tunable and rebuildable, but these brands cost a great deal more. Check you local auto parts stores for specific application, availability, and prices.
To remove rusted shock hardware, wire brush the exposed threads, bolt heads, and nuts. Buy a can of PB "Blaster" penetrating catalyst. Make sure the small red application tube is not missing on the can. Push this tube into the nozzle when you are ready to apply the penetrant, and give each shock bolt a shot. Wait a few seconds to a minute to let it soak in while you find the wrenches that will fit. This remedy works 99 times out of 100.

Last edited by DIY; 05-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

If the blaster dont work right off hit it with a butane/propane torch for 10~15 sec to allow everything to expand then shoot it again. It should flow better.

Heat the nut not the stud.

Quick Reply: Shock Leak