Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

PCV valve position

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV valve position

Hello guys, just one questions Iam confused about:

This is the 302 5.0L engine of my 1981 F150 truck:

Driver side view

Passanger side view

In this engine (1981 302 5.0L), a breather seems to be located at the rear of valvecover at passangers side while PCV is at front of the valvecover at drivers side. The PCV mounting hole is also the oil filler passage. In a research I found an opposite PCV / Breather configuration in the same engine. Because this engine was built in Ford's Mexico factory Im wondering if this configuration is OK.

Q. Are PCV valve and breather position swapable ?

Regards,
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Yes, the breather is just the other end of the PCV system. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

But that engine is NOT in factory condition. The distributor is '86-91; the coil is '87-96; the A/C compressor is '87-96; its mount is homemade; the fan spacer is aftermarket; the block ground is homemade & in the wrong location (but probably OK if it's clean & tight); the valve covers have been repainted; the clutch linkage is homemade; the upper radiator hose is obviously generic; the alternator looks like it might be the correct style (1G), but its bracketry is homemade... In comparison, the PCV system looks outstanding! My biggest concern would be the plastic fuel filter almost resting on the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by Steve83; 01-13-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve83
Yes, the breather is just the other end of the PCV system. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)

But that engine is NOT in factory condition. The distributor is '86-91; the coil is '87-96; the A/C compressor is '87-96; its mount is homemade; the fan spacer is aftermarket; the block ground is homemade & in the wrong location (but probably OK if it's clean & tight); the valve covers have been repainted; the clutch linkage is homemade; the upper radiator hose is obviously generic; the alternator looks like it might be the correct style (1G), but its bracketry is homemade... In comparison, the PCV system looks outstanding! My biggest concern would be the plastic fuel filter almost resting on the exhaust manifold.
Thanks a lot Steve83, I appreciate all your comments, I will place a gap between the gas flter and exhaust manifold to separate them. I agree, the ground needs some cleaning work.

Greetings,

Quick Reply: PCV valve position