Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Part I can't identify

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part I can't identify

Can anyone help me identify this part? I was under the driver's side, undoing a bolt to remove the dash, wrench slipped, no idea what I hit, but this came out from under there somewhere. Yeah, I'm an idiot.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure but id look for an area that has a curvature to match that radius, could be an anti rattling device. Be happy it wasnt a spring n ball bearing. A little more info might help, like year, what side, area, for starters.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by hobolabo
Not sure but id look for an area that has a curvature to match that radius, could be an anti rattling device. Be happy it wasnt a spring n ball bearing. A little more info might help, like year, what side, area, for starters.
Apologies, I should have given the year. It's a 79 F-150. My heater core went out, so I had to take the dash apart to get to it. I was pulling the bolt on the driver's side, just above the emergency brake (more to the left of it, on the wall), and the damn wrench slipped off the bolt and I hit *something* in that area, and it dropped from under the dash. Been trying to figure out what it is and where it goes for a few days now, even consulting a shop manual with no luck.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 315 Likes on 195 Posts

Does the head light switch work
Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2dwoods
^^that what I say looks like a part out of the headlight switch, the dimmer function. When you pull the handle out of the headlight switch that part sometimes falls off. Pretty easy to put back on.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2dwoods
Yes, the headlight switch works. As do the wipers. My head went to those places first.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 AM

I agree as to the dimmer function. But, !! I currently have the insturment cluster out on my '78 and will look for some thing for a look alike or whatever, I've curiously snooped around a few months ago just because i could.....courious mind i guess you could say while i was in the middle of my restoration and swiching over to LEDs. Can you set something next to it for a size reference? and does what looks like a plunger move when you compress the spring?
A different view or two might help as well.
Arent these mysterious happenings fun especially when everything seems to work.
KEEP US POSTED if you figure it out though, I'll check mine in an hour or so, its 8:00 a.m. EST now.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2019, 10:26 AM

This is the back of my '78 F350 dash, I don't have anything that looks like what U have but for those who don't know, the small push button on top of the headlight switch (far right) is what you push down to release the pull on button for you to remove dash bezel then just push firmly but gently to reinstall it with possibly a slight twist back n forth.
Does your '79 have factory a/c? not that it makes sense on that side of dash but just wondering, was hoping to see more but it seems likely it's a part of some switch.
Good Luck n hoping to hear of the how the mystery is solved.

Headlight, n wiper switches on the back side on a '78 F350, notice the headlight push button for the **** release on the far right.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Everyone, thank all of you, sincerely. I've taken some pics of the part with a tape measure as a point of reference. I've also included one of the unholy monstrosity that I'm working on. Incidentally, I went ahead and replaced my instrument lights with LEDs, as the instrument panel has never lit up. Made sure all were seated, and they still don't work. My headlight switch is the dimmer type, as it's the only type that would fit (the non dimmer switch has a different plug set in the back). So, that's my next mystery. Anyhow, on to the pics:

Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 PM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

^^that part looks way to new to be on a vehicle of the vintage. I would start looking at things that have been replaced for missing parts.

Quick Reply: Part I can't identify