Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Newby learned project

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby learned project

So just a little background. I'm in my early 30s and havent done a lot of mechanical work. But I've really been developing an interest and enjoying what I've been doing.
Yesterday I was driving down a backroad and decided to stop and knock on a door. The lady has
A 1964 F100 that I am going to pick up. The body is in good shape. No broken glass. But it has a flatbed and has had the motor replaced with an 8 cylinder. Dont know what it is offhand. She says it ran fine in 06 when she parked it due to health problems.
I know the cylinders need to be lubricated before trying to run it. Was planning to pull the plugs, a local mechanic told me to put a little diesel in each cylinder then turn it by hand. Is that a good lubricant to use?
Also planning to disconnect the fuel line and try to pull clean fuel probably with some seafoam out of a can when I try to start it?
Any other advice or experience would be appreciated. I dont really know what I'm doing but am loving the learning process.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:21 PM
vertical pin buster

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Diesel works great in the manner your talking about. An ounce in each cylinder is enough. Draining the gas is good. Also replace the rubber section from the steel line to the carb and filter. Then once you got that done. Drain the old oil and add 3 quarts new oil and 2 or 3 quarts diesel fuel. And warm the engine a few times then change the oil and filter. The diesel will break up the the sludge and get rid of the moisture. Then you can start diagnosing everything else in it.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders of old engines before, works well. Diesel would work well too. Good idea to drain the tank and add fresh fuel. Wouldn't hurt to also give the carburetor a rebuild too. This modern fuel with ethanol likes to crystallize when it sits for too long. Before starting it, I would change the oil, and add seafoam to the crankcase, run it about 50 miles or an hour or so at idle, then change the oil again. That will help to clean out any sludge build up from broken down old oil and fuel deposits.

Quick Reply: Newby learned project