Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Rear wheel bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear wheel bearings??

Hey everyone,
I want to put new wheel bearings on my 1981 F150 4x4 with a 9". It currently has the tapered bearing setup with the oil seal. When I ordered new bearings they came as the sealed bearing type. I then bought a set of tapered bearings also, but now that I'm looking at them, they appear to have the same I.D. & O.D. Etc. So now I don't know which set I should install. I like the idea of the sealed bearing with no seal to fail, but I also like to go back with OEM parts whenever I can. What am info am I missing?? Thanks for the input. 👍👍

Existing set with leaky seal

Which set should i install???
Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 315 Likes on 195 Posts

Personally I prefer sealed the other are subject to preload and they just pull tight there's no setting to it ,seems like I've always press on sealed with the bearing keeper if you don't have press I've installed using
​​​ long pipe or heat them in oven and drop them on.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also do the opposite and stick the axle flange in dry ice until it is nice and frosty, then drop the bearing on. This way you don't risk damaging the seal. Don't touch the dry ice or any parts that are chilled by it. It's like sticking your tongue to a flag pole.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearings??