Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

my throttle squeals at me!!!! driving me CrAzY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my throttle squeals at me!!!! driving me CrAzY!!!

I've had the truck now for about two years, and the whole time I've had it the throttle has had this high pitch squeal at around 12-18% throttle. I thought It might have been the tps, but after swapping it out with a known good and "quiet" one, it steal has the squeal. I've greased every point, and still the squeal. It's not a squeak, like metal on metal, but a high pitch tone coming from under the dash only when I push the throttle so much. The bad part is, it squeals when your cruising at around 30-40mph, so I have to hear it ALL THE TIME.

WHATS THE DEAL!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Morning levi18175,

I am pretty sure that we have a throttle cable, vice a throttle sensor.

Obviously the throttle sensor is quietor. Also, it doesn't move the gas pedal while the truck is on cruise. All the moving parts are under the hood. I had this on my Freestyle. There was actually a button that was under the gas pedal, and when you stomped on the gas, you had to push the pedal hard enough to activate the button, to get the throttle body to open to it's fullest position.

I digress...

Sounds like you got a squeaky cable. It isn't like you can force grease down the cable. Even then, eventually the grease will wear out and you have a squeaky cable again.

But at this point, I bet I am only stating the obvious. I'd take it to the garage to have a pro look at it.

Mitch
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM

There is a throttle position sensor and a cable on the truck, as is on almost all fuel injected vehicles. The sound is produced when you hold the pedal at a certain position, not as it's moving. This is why it is confusing me. I already pulled the throttle cable off, and hung it up, cut the corner off a sandwich baggy, and taped it to the top of the cable and filled the bag with teflon penetrating gel. I let it hang for a day, until there was teflon dripping out of the bottom of the cable. After re-installing the cable, I took it up the road, and there was no changfe. It still squealed at me.

Again, it only makes the noise when the pedal is "held" at a certain position. it's a high pitch squeal, I'd say around 50,000khz

I really don't see a reason to take the truck to a shop, it runds like a sewing machine, and it's not under any warranty. Anything a shop can do, I am just as capable of doing myself, so I'd much rather save on the labor.

Last edited by levi18175; 12-03-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

If the sound occurs when nothing in the throttle linkage is moving - suggest you've got a resonance thing going on. *edit* kind of like the rubbing of the lip of a crystal glass - have to hit things just right, then the glass, or in this case, dash, rings loudly.

Thinking about loose bolts or assemblies somewhere in the dash. Does this squeal occur at the same throttle position or at a given engine RPM / road speed. Wondering if you're not hitting some vibration point of excitement that effectively rings something's bell?

Last edited by wde3477; 12-03-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 AM

It usually occurs between 30-40 mph, and around 50-60 mph. Then again it will occur between 1350-1650 rpms which happens to where my truck cruises at when I'm in drive around 30-40, and over drive at 50-60.

I noticed today that it didn't make the noise when I had the heat blowing on the floor board, maybe something got warm and expanded. I never really considered that it may be a loose bolt, though, you'd think that it would have loosened more by now, seeing as it has done it for almost two years now.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 AM

----UPDATE----

I went under my dash and started tightening nuts, bolts, screws, everything I could fit a tool on.

As I figured, it was all pretty much tight. My thought was if it hadn't fallen off by now, it couldn't have been that loose to begin with.

The noise is still there, just as annoying as before, but I noticed that it changes as the cab gets warmer. When the heat is flat crankin' (you know how fords are) it doesn't squeal, about 3 minutes after you turn the heat off, it will start squealing agian.

This is really starting to rattle my brain,

WHAT COULD IT BE?!?!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: my throttle squeals at me!!!! driving me CrAzY!!!