Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Couple of rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of rebuild questions

So I ripped the heads off to replace the head gaskets. Got them back from the machine shop and am ready to put the whole thing back together. I'm wondering if any of you guys who've done a couple of rebuilds may have an easier way to get some of the crap that fell into the cylinders out.

The other question I've got is are the heads from a 302 all cast from the same mold. I never really looked at them before I took them in to get rebuilt and they seem to be exactly the same.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 PM
97F-150XLT

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've used a couple of methods. First before I cleaned the old gasket off covered the pistons with rags which kept 90% of the trash out. When cleaning the cycl. out the best thing I've found is to take a vaccum cleaner and clean them out usually with the smallest straight attachment available. If you don't have small straight attachment you can measure the hose and then go to the hardware (plumbing section store) and pick up a slip fit reducer (close as you can get the hose in), then duct tape it to the hose for a seal and if you need to go smaller and longer pick up a piece of small hose at the store also. I believe the heads are the same, but I'm not certain it's be a lnog time since I've even looked or worked on a 302. Maybe someone can help. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the help. Fortunately the gasket came off in mostly 1 piece when I was scraping it and I did stuff a rag in the cylinder to catch what little bits fell off. Mostly what I'm talking about is the little tiny bits of carbon or whatever it is that is around the sides of the piston. It's little black chunky crap. I took a piece of paper and ran it around the edge of the piston and most of it stuck to the paper. I don't know if it's that big of a deal or not though. I'm thinking what little bit is left will blow out with the exhaust.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Shop vac?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

A litttle carbon is no big deal, it will usually flake out with a stiff bristle brush and some carb and choke cleaner. The heads are exactly the same, the only thing that you need to watch is whick side of the heads the endplugs are on. looking at the head from front to back (as it would be on a motor) you will see a large headless bolt drilled and tapped to mount your accesories to, the back side of the head has a big bolt in the same spot instead the drilled bolt.

If you get the heads backwards, all you have to do is pull those bolts and plugs, and switch them. BUT it's alot harder than it sounds.

Last edited by levi18175; 12-08-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:01 PM

thanks for the replies guys. Everything is back together and running fine. Just need a new ps pump now. Gotta love old vehicles lol.

Quick Reply: Couple of rebuild questions