Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

manual to Auto

Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manual to Auto

I'm working on a friends 75 F150
She just bought the truck, and It's needed a lot of parts not to mention just a lot of work
Someone in the past changed it from a 3sp to Auto and put the shifter on the floor. (moron)
but left the clutch pedal and rod assembly in place.
But here is my situation, we want to remove the floor shifter and put it back on the column..
Now do I need to replace the whole column. or could I install the automatic collar to this column and
add a cable connection at the bottom to shift the trans.
I'm just trying to save her a little $$$. which she seems not to appreciate...
We have a SS column on the net she likes for about $179... tilt, OD, setup for cable, users (gm) style connector, which
I would need to rewire...
Any thoughts
Since Im here, any thoughts on Tire size.. we are not going for a "lift" we prefer lower..
right now there is an 8" gap between tire and fender in rear and 4" in front...
Can anyone give the original tire size... for reference...
Best
Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Do it right or don't do it at all. Go to yard, pull automatic column and linkage. Then pull floor panel that has cut out for the floor shifter and install the automatic version with no holes. When you say she doesn't appreciate the saving of the money, does she want to splurge, or do it right? Way I see it, if you buy an old truck like this you want to fix it up. Who wants a halfassed jury-rigged anything?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual to Auto