Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 F150 Fuel Filler Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1986 F150 Fuel Filler Hose?

Hi. I have a 1986 F150 with duel tanks. I've removed the bed of the truck so I could swap leaf springs and check out some other things. Upon inspection I noticed my fuel filler hoses and vacuum lines going to the tank are dried up and on the verge of failure so I'm replacing them. I ordered a set of them on Summit Racing. I ordered a hose made by Spectra part #FNH122, and FNH095. Both of them came up in vehicle search, looked the same and claimed to fit. The FNH122 hose was delivered but is about 3" too short, the reviews mentioned it but I failed to read them. The FNH095 hose would more than likely fit, but it is on back order at the manufacturer and so I was refunded. So I went to the part store looking for fuel hose with a 1 7/8" inner diameter. They took me to some hose that is not molded and seems to be the same rubber as a radiator hose except for some type of fabric looking wrap, and they call it a fuel hose. Just looks like plain old rubber to me. There are other fuel hoses on summit which are for 1987 and newer F350s and such which look exactly like the FNH122 hose except longer. I'm not sure what to order. I used a 1 foot section of the universal stuff from the parts store (expensive) for the short rear hose, and it will probably work fine. The front hose has a fairly sharp bend and I don't think I can use it for that.

The question is, have any of you replaced these on your truck recently and what did you use? Or did you order one of the other ones from Summit? I would like to get this resolved. Thanks.

Last edited by 265258; 05-18-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Update. I went back to the parts store to buy 2 more feet of the universal straight hose I was going to use for the rear tank. When I went to the register, it came up as being for coolant, I've also been reading online that using standard rubber can cause static, discharge, not to mention, it will break down and end up in my fuel tank, and probably fail quickly. I have no idea now, if that hose is meant for fuel. The first guy I asked said it was, when I bought it he didn't mention it was listed as coolant hose, the second guy said pointed that out. So now I won't be using it, and am combing the internet for a supply website, I have found one, but they don't seem to list something for duel tanks. I'll figure this out soon, and post what I found here.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Okay so I've checked everywhere and here is what I've learned. Ford dealership says the hoses are obsolete, so I can't order there. Almost everywhere I search, that danged Spectra FNH122 hose pops up as if it actually fits and works, That's BS, it does not fit these trucks, so don't buy one unless you want to cobble another 3" onto the end of it, and for the price it isn't worth monkey rigging it. I'm sending it back to Summit, and I guess I'll have to eat the shipping cost, pisses me off.

I can buy the short hose for the rear tank here, it looks like it fits, but there are no dimensions listed. I would think Bronco graveyard would know.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/198...uctinfo/30320/

For the front hose I found these guys, this hose should fit according to their dimensions. There are two hoses, one is 24", listed to be for my year, the other is 23" listed for 90' - 97'. they both look the same but are also using the same picture, the 23" hose is almost half the price which makes me want to order it, but I'm going to the wrecking yard first to see if there are any differences. Here they are.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/198...ed-front-tank/

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/199...l-filler-hose/

After trying to install the FNH122 hose which is 3" too short, I'm confident I could get away with a hose 1" shorter if the bends are the same, but I will probably end up just buying the one listed for my truck. Another option is to buy some 1-7/8" flexible universal hose. I've read good reviews about it being flexible without collapsing, also read that it stinks really bad too, so not sure if I like the sounds of that. Also, most vendors seem to be out of the stock, it's an odd size.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:32 PM

I went to the wrecking yard and looked at a 1991 F150. As it turns out, the metal fuel filler tube is about 13-1/2" long compared to the one on my 86' which is around 11" long. I snagged the filler tube from the 1991 and it should install on my truck just fine. The only difference is how they fill and vapors escape but it's not really an issue. I'm hoping the extra length from the 91' fill tube will allow me to use the falsely advertised FNH122 filler hose without having to send it back for a loss of $9.50 shipping. This may seem like a useless hack, but these trucks are getting old and I'm sure others will run into this problem too. The Spectra FNH122 filler hose seems to be abundantly available probably in the 10's of thousands and all the vendors have 80-86 fords listed as compatible. Totally bogus, but I'm pretty sure with the 90-97 filler tubes extra length, this hose might work, tomorrow I will include some photos.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I've never replaced one on any of my vehicles, regardless what it looked like. Yes, they're all essentially the same material - vulcanized rubber. But Spectra is arguably the WORST brand for fuel system parts (and not far off that for any other parts). If you can find a later hose from a truck with the tank nipple in the same location as your truck's tank, then its hose will probably fit perfectly. But I recommend swapping to the later filler neck, too, because it was redesigned to work better:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 Fuel Filler Hose?