Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

LSD in front axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD in front axle

I'm looking to improve my trucks traction in winter. I've researched and decided on a LSD for the rear (Ford 8.8) and would also like to put one in the front (Dana 44). My reasoning is less cost, and better road manners. I'm not off-roading or abusing the truck. The worst it will see is running some back roads and driving in the snow. I live in the hills of SW PA and when it snows, I still need to get to work. Any one running this?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Yes, it was a factory option.

But you'd get more for your money if you spent some time learning how to drive in low-traction conditions first. Read the 2 army manuals linked in this caption:

(phone app link)

And the "4-Wheeling with Ford" brochure in the owner's manual packet.

(phone app link)

It was included in 4WDs through the late 90s-early 00s, so it should be easy to find in local JYs if you don't have it.

(phone app link)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links. I do know how to drive in low traction conditions. I'm 60 years old and driving since I was 14. Where I grew up, live, and learned to drive, it snows in the winter. I watch Pittsburgh local weather and they say no snow within 150 miles, I look out my living room window and it's a white out! I live about 40 miles east of Pittsburgh!
I'm only looking to improve my truck's traction in the snow. Since it was a factory option, I'm sure it will be good. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: LSD in front axle