Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

i6 loping and running super rich???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i6 loping and running super rich???

I've recently acquired a california emissions vacuum diagram after weeks of searching and got everything routed right after many times of checking and rerouting... however now that the truck is all put back together it's idling like it has the worlds largest cam in it and it's pouring out unburned fuel... i feel it may be the timing but i can't get it to idle well enough to be able to physically check it... is there a way i can lean it out and raise the idle so i can check the timing? i apologize for all the seemingly easy questions i'm just a young guy tryin to get by and can't afford to pay to have it professionally repaired
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I would check is that the carb and manifold bolts are all tight and all the vacuum lines are not leaking. Then make sure the chock is opening all the way.. If those are ok then you can try adjusting the air mixture screw at the base of the carb till it smooths out. But to me, from the way you describe it, it sounds like the chock isn't opening up. If it's running that rich it must not be getting much air into the carb.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i was thinking it was the choke but i got it started and manually turned the choke off and it ran a lil bit better but it still runs wayyy to rich... as it was idleing i looked down into the carb and i could see a LOT of fuel gettin dumped down in there i think i may order a carb rebuild kit and see if that helps and i also think i may have a bunch of debris and possibly water in my tank so that's another thing i need to sort out... i think it needs a lot more work than i had been anticipating haha

Quick Reply: i6 loping and running super rich???