Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

gear swap ? or transmission? or ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy gear swap ? or transmission? or ?

I have an 83 f150 shortbed 4x4 that originaly came with a 4.9l 6cyl it has a granny 4 speed and 3.08 final gearing, I built a 96 model 5.0 full roller motor using a 303 camshaft and have edelbrock air gap rpm manifold ,long tube headers,and a billet HEI distributor and edelbrock 600 cfm carb. this engine runs amazing it sounds like it makes gobs of power,lots of tourque but ,first gear is too low of a gear to do anything but crawl and second gear i have to slip my clutch a LOT to take off w/o killing it,it has 31" tires on it,and i couldnt spin a tire if my life depended on it !,recently the rear differential broke tabs off of the clutches in the lsd and im in process of rebuilding the rear, what gear should i put in it so its not a dog? It hauls *** on the highway but going 90 mph in a 30 year old truck that i work out of isnt practical,plus it inhales fuel like 10mpg tops
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess i answered my own question,I installed a 3.55 gear and now its a screamer except now it needs 5th gear on the highway, gas mileage almost doubled being as how i no longer have to floor it to get it to move.So in hindsight I would say if i want a hot rod i should buy a mustang and just use a truck for a truck!

Quick Reply: gear swap ? or transmission? or ?