Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pumps

!986 F-150 302 EFI Supercab. Dual tanks.
Does anyone happen to know the product number for a Spectra Premium fuel pump for the midship tank. 17 gal (16.5 actual) I cant find this anywhere. Thanks
Roland
rhptat2@yahoo.com
Old 04-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rhplatzer
!986 F-150 302 EFI Supercab. Dual tanks.
Does anyone happen to know the product number for a Spectra Premium fuel pump for the midship tank. 17 gal (16.5 actual) I cant find this anywhere. Thanks
Roland
rhptat2@yahoo.com
The fuel pump is the same for all the tanks. The sender assembly is different.
The Spectra web site does not seem to list just the pumps alone. Only the complete assemblies are shown.
I think it is the SP2018H model shown here. But the description does not say exactly which tank it goes to. So you might want to inquire to Spectra directly.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/Produ...hicule/1121667

For all the time and trouble it takes to drop the tank, I would suggest replacing the entire assembly.

Last edited by klricks; 04-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by klricks
The fuel pump is the same for all the tanks. The sender assembly is different.
The Spectra web site does not seem to list just the pumps alone. Only the complete assemblies are shown.
I think it is the SP2018H model shown here. But the decrtiption does not say exactly which tank it goes to. So you might want to inquire to Spectra directly.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/Produ...hicule/1121667

For all the time and trouble it takes to drop the tank, I would suggest replacing the entire assembly.
Thanks.. I will look it up. I meant the whole assy. The auto supply sent me the wrong part and they cant find the right one. I will look this up and send them the part no. Thanks again I'm getting close to fixing my tank problem
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks.. I will look it up. I meant the whole assy. The auto supply sent me the wrong part and they cant find the right one. I will look this up and send them the part no. Thanks again I'm getting close to fixing my tank problem
AAAABJRU5ErkJggg==[/IMI sent a message to their tech supportto their tech support. Now I will wait. Everything else works fine . The tank selector came from the Ford dealer in Miss. $183.
You are a big help.. Thanks many times over.
Roland
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Default A new situation..

Everything was working fine untill now. Now the fuel is draining from the front tank into the rear one. It seams that the rear pump is not working now. When I switch tanks via the dash switch, the tanks switch but rear one will stall....even though it has 1/2 tank full. switch back to the front and it works fine . It had been running fine on the rear only but not now. I have replaced the rear pump assy. and the selector switch. The only things I have not replaced are the dash switch , which I assume works, as it registers switching, and the front fuel pump assy, which I have on order. The front seems to be the only pump presently working. It seems to be only draining to the rear when operating using the rear tank even though it's not operating properly. I don't know what is working and what isn't. Can you offer any suggestions what's happening now ? At this point I am ready to try anything. Thanks
Roland
rhptat2@yahoo.com
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Both in tank pumps must be working in order for the switching valve to work properly. If the valve is not functioning properly then the fuel returning from the engine EFI can be pumped into the wrong tank.
The valve relies on fuel pressure from the selected tank pump to make the valve operate.

It is possible that debris in the tank(s) has plugged up the new parts?
When I replaced the sender on my rear tank. I attempted to clean the old tank but there was so much muck and such that I gave up and put in a new tank as well.

The dash switch is a DPDT type, which means there are actually 2 independent switches in one. One side switches the gauge/senders and the other side switches the tank pumps. It is possible that the switch is bad or connector or wiring from switch to tank. You can easily test the switch function with an ohm meter before buying new stuff.

See the link in my signature for a description of how the system works, wiring diagrams etc.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks once again for the info. I passed it all to my son who is doing the job. I will say this is very frustrating. Your info is very informative which is why I turned it over to my son who has a local shop. Will keep you posted. At least now it is running even if it is only on the front tank for now. It will take about 3 weeks to get the SP2018H pump for the front. Theres a possibility that the new rear pump is defective. Thanks again.
Roland
Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a possibility that the new rear pump is defective. Thanks again.
Roland
Sure is. Replaced the in tank pump on my dad's 2000 Mountaineer and the new one was bad.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Replaced selector and rear tank pump. Everything working now as planned. Have a new pump for the mid tank, but will wait till it needs to be replaced. Rear pump works perfectly (first replacement was defective) but a new situation has come up. When putting gas in the rear tank, it will take at the most one gallon and then backs up and clicks off the filler. I can fill it up with 5 gallon cans, but that should not be. Front fills perfectly. I thought maybe the vent in the filler pipe, but I don't know. Any suggestions? Thanks........Roland
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Recheck the filler hose for kinks, sounds messed up.

Quick Reply: Fuel pumps