Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Egr's & Air-pumps??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Egr's & Air-pumps??

I was wondering waht the EGR Valve and the air pump are both there but the egr has a peice of metal blocking the port and the air pump has no belt and no lines coming off it i was wondering if these things were blocked id it would effect my performance any? for better or for worser?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

As I understand it, the AIR pump is for emissions, where air is pumped into the exhaust to help complete the combustion of any remaining fuel. Haven't heard of this affecting performance, other than being a small incremental load on the engine.

The EGR is also for emissions, its function is to reduce the peak combustion temperature in the cylinders, lowering the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOX). IMO, this needs to be working on the computer-controlled engines, however, opinions go both ways as to its necessity. If its not working right, it will certainly affect performance, however, if it's completely blanked, not sure of any ill effects.

Quick Reply: Egr's & Air-pumps??