Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Broken Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Front Axle

I just found out my 1982 F-150 4x4 has a broken passenger side front axle. It's a Dana 44 Twin Traction Beam front end. The CV joint is broken in half. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement axle, and how to remove the axle? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 351W1085
I just found out my 1982 F-150 4x4 has a broken passenger side front axle. It's a Dana 44 Twin Traction Beam front end. The CV joint is broken in half. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement axle, and how to remove the axle? Thanks.
Jeffs bronco graveyard has new ones, a junkyard, any year from 1980 to 1996 should fit, except the 1987 88 models with the oddball hubs. Which joint failed, there are two in the passenger side axle?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Jeffs bronco graveyard has new ones, or a junkyard, any year f150 or fullsize bronco,from 1980 to 1996 should fit, except the 1987 88 models with the oddball hubs. Which joint failed, there are two in the passenger side axle?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're not that bad to change. I replaced all the u-joints in the front end of my 86 last summer by myself in a day. Remove the tire and rim, lockout assembly, all brake components(takes a special socket to remove the hub assembly), then remove the spindle(6 bolts I think), it's press fit in and a bear to get out, but it will come. I used a dead blow mallet and worked it back and forth and side to side til it popped out. I think the passenger side is the one with the bolt on flange that you have to unbolt up by the differential then slide the assembly out through the hole where the spindle was.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bhunt31
They're not that bad to change. I replaced all the u-joints in the front end of my 86 last summer by myself in a day. Remove the tire and rim, lockout assembly, all brake components(takes a special socket to remove the hub assembly), then remove the spindle(6 bolts I think), it's press fit in and a bear to get out, but it will come. I used a dead blow mallet and worked it back and forth and side to side til it popped out. I think the passenger side is the one with the bolt on flange that you have to unbolt up by the differential then slide the assembly out through the hole where the spindle was.
Later frontends dont have the bolt in passenger side axle, they used a c clip, you have to drop the whole diff with those, fords better ideas...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scraptor
Later frontends dont have the bolt in passenger side axle, they used a c clip, you have to drop the whole diff with those, fords better ideas...
I was wrong, I finally got up off my butt and went and looked at my 86 and the driver's side is the one with the stub axle c clipped in with the bolted flange. The passenger side slips out of the differential.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Ive already been looking for axles on ebay, and ill be sure to check out Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. My passenger side shaft is very weird. It has to u joints, the one by the hub, and the other one is next to the differential. And there is a CV joint in the middle of the shaft in between the two u joints, as you see in the picture. The CV joint between the u joints is broken in half.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Ive already been looking for axles on ebay, and ill be sure to check out Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. My passenger side shaft is very weird. It has to u joints, the one by the hub, and the other one is next to the differential. And there is a CV joint in the middle of the shaft in between the two u joints, as you see in the picture. The CV joint between the u joints is broken in half.
It's a splined slip yoke and mine is the same way. I'm remembering bits and pieces as we go on, that is how the axle comes apart. The other part is held in by a c-clip inside the differential. I had both mine out, replaced all the u-joints and welded the spider gears, but that was last year and I've slept since then.

Quick Reply: Broken Front Axle