Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Bad Rings???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Rings???

Hello all.

Picked up 1978 351M year and half ago and it basically sat for a year. Started working on it couple of months ago after joining site. Have learned a lot from reading other's posts on different issues.

Had changed oil and added some marvel oil for lubrication. Took a 150 mile trip and looked at oil and color had changed to dark black.

Was suggested that this could be the rings blowing back into oil pan. Question is could it be that or just that some of the gunk is loosening up. Other information is that a couple of exhaust valves are more than likely burned.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never owned any ford that didn't turn the oil black! Many things can contribute to that, but if you get good power, and you are not getting blow by, then you are probably safe. I had a ford that I bought from a guy that rebuilt the engine, and I got a mile down the road with it and every drop of oil was blown all over the inside of the hood. They installed the rings wrong, or maybe not at all, and the truck still ran. Go figure! But mostly what turns oil black is carbon from combustion so if you have a lot of miles it is a pretty normal thing. At least that has been my experience.

Quick Reply: Bad Rings???