Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 f150 4.9l feedback issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 86 f150 4.9l feedback issues

so basicly it wont idle, fast idle is great though... heres the history

recently i replaced a number of gaskets and the harmonic balancer, gaskets include valve cover, push rod cover and timing gear cover... i got a used balancer and put the repair sleeve on it. i found that 2 plugs had collected oil and one was burnt a bit so i replaced them, plugs and cables had been on for a while but not many miles, the rotor and cap were pretty darn clean still. i also rewired the altenator as it appeared to have caught fire before i got the truck and the old repair was looking shabby, alt charges and runs fine now as it did before. the coil tip was all chewed to hell so i replaced it as well

before this it ran but the balancer had slipped so i couldnt time it properly and it dripped tons of oil. hence the cleanup/overhaul

now it starts fine and fast idles great, but it wont come down to a regular idle and maintain, occasionally it does but its extremely choppy. ive plugged all the vacuum except the choke pull off, map and brakes and its still acting like its got a vacuum leak...

could it be the mixture solenoid? blown head gasket?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the carb mounting bolts. They loosen over time and cause these kinds of issues.

Quick Reply: 86 f150 4.9l feedback issues