Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Advice re. 1983

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice re. 1983

I'm looking for an 1983 F-150 (no computers, no pollution control mandates, lots of used parts available, simple to service).
A deer took out my daily-driver car & gave me an excuse to get a truck!
My preference is a 6cyl automatic but is it absurdly difficult to put a 6cyl rebuild in a 8cyl blown engine F-150?
What about putting an automatic in a truck that was originally standard/stick shift?(Neighbor works on trucks so he will help.)
I need it to have a back seat area - is there a difference between "extended cab" and "super cab" in the 1983 model?
I don't need a 4 door super cab (and don't want the extra weight).
Sure appreciate any good information!
David
Old 01-01-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome david! A supercab and extended cab are the same thing. Your best bet would be to find an 83-86 f150. 80-82 are a little different in motor/wiring. Usually the 300 inline 6 is usually backed by a 4 speed with granny low. They have those all over the place. The inline 6 combined with a 4 speed was a farmers dream. Good releabity and granny low when you need the power. Sadly most of these are regular cab trucks. How much are you looking to spend and how nice of a truck are you looking for?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Sure appreciate your reply! Down with the flu/cold here today - tried to push through it but probably made it last longer.
Are all of the 83-86 f150's free of computers and pollution control mandates or was 83 the last year of simple?
I'm not looking for anything pristine - I can work on cosmetics down the road.
I've seen them for $500. - $10,000. online.
If running and reasonably well maintained mechanically, but needing work on torn upholstery, minor surface rust, some dents and dings, maybe needs brake shoes and tires - I'm hoping under $4,000.
If the engine and/or transmission likely need rebuilds, or there are a ton of problems with electric, steering column, cv joints, etc. then a whole lot less. (It's my cost to get it on the road running reliably that I'm looking at. Routine maintenance is expected.)
The truck will be used to run to town for work 4 or 5 days a week (18 miles each way), a couple of miles round-trip to the dumpsters, and now and then 12 miles to the nearest post office & grocery store.
What guidance can you offer re. current values, please?
BTW: We're located in rural SE Georgia, about 45 minutes NW of Savannah.
EDIT: I read this "On vehicles manufactured before 1984, the catalytic converters are considered part of the exhaust system only, and not part of the emissions system. (if the vehicle was originally manufactured with a catalytic converter then it must have one)" - how does this apply to the early 80's f150's, please? It's not that I don't want one but if circumstances, financial or otherwise, require - it would be good to know what are my options. (In this part of GA there are no emissions tests.)
Thanks again, David

Last edited by handygeek; 01-01-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:35 PM

Well, you would have to ask around for sure but I think you do need one. You need a muffler too. There is no electronic fuel injection on any of the trucks except for 85-86 on some 302s and some inline 6s. Most are carbed though. All of the 351 windsors and 460s are carbuerated until 1988. If you are down south a rust free truck will be easy to find. For price perspective my truck is a 1986 f250 heavy duty truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 8600 lbs. It is an xlt lariat with 4 wheel drive and a 460 with a c6. That cost the pretty penny of $4500. You can find a really nice truck for much less than that down south. Cost more for me because I live in Minnesota. I would say your best bet would be to find an old farmers truck. Up here in MN i know the perfect truck for you. Its a 1986 carbed inline 6 with a c6 auto and 4wd. Any of the farm trucks will most likely have the 4 speed though. Still, you should be able to find one with an auto. Its going to be hard to find an extended cab truck with an inline 6. Either a regular cab 4wd truck with an inline 6 or an extended cab with a 302/351w. Are you looking on CL?

Also I took the emissions off my 460. Took off the smog pump and all that crap. Also the cat and muffler. My truck is straight piped and I haven't even been pulled over, less a ticket and its been months.

Last edited by 84Red; 01-01-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:09 PM

That's great info, thanks!
Maybe I can find an extended body with a blown 8cyl & have a 4.9i/300 inline 6 swapped-in?
Any idea how many associated pieces would also have to be changed when switching from an 8 to a 6?
4wd is out as it adds complexity & reduces fuel mileage - is it too messy/expensive to try to convert a 4wd to 2wd?
I'd like the exhaust to be quiet & vertical as I may have to run through water (I assist with emergency communications).
I've looked at CL but there are so many fake posts it's frustrating. I've also looked at FB associated lists and others. I'll have to make some wanted posts here in the area.
Thanks again - David
Old 01-01-2017, 06:20 PM

Well with 4wd out that makes it a lot easier. Your best bet would be to find a nice garage stored grandpa truck. Instead of swapping an I6 to a v8 truck just find an inline 6 truck. You have to get a different trans i believe because of the different bellhousing along with all of the wiring. Why do you want an inline 6 other than reliability? It will most likely be screaming at 65 unless you have highway gears. If you do on the offhand have 3.55 gears or higher, you wont be able to tow as much. Thats why people have the 4 speed manual for granny low when they need the grunt. Also keep in mind the extended cab will be even heavier than a regular cab truck.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 PM

I'm hoping that a 6 vs 8, and 2wd vs 4wd, will mostly compensate for the weight difference of the extended cab vs regular cab. (I'll look for a short bed, which will also be less weight.)
I can dream of a garage stored grandpa truck but realistically expect this project to get more complicated than that ... I've grown used to that ... and life is often more interesting that way.
Thanks - David
Old 01-01-2017, 06:47 PM

I dont think there were any short bed extended cabs until 1992 but dont quote me on it. For your needs why wouldnt a 90s chevy fit your needs? Since you are looking for more of a useful standpoint than old truck restoration point wouldnt one of those fit your needs better? Not trying to point you in a different direction though.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 PM

A critical factor is the absence of ecm/computer complications and freedom from mandatory maintenance of the catalytic converter & other environmental kludges.
That means pre-84 as I believe that's the threshold for both in the f150.
OK re. the long bed - I'm not sure it makes a huge weight difference - if it does I'm guessing replacing a long bed with a short bed may be relatively trivial. (I'm guessing the long bed merely hangs further past the rear axle - but perhaps it's more than that?)
WDYT?
Thanks - David
Old 01-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Well id say a catalytic converter needs no maintenance other than a new one if its old. I would actually say the threshhold of good ford in this generation is the 1984-1986 trucks. The 1980-1983 are sort of oddballs with different axles, motors, gears, and they still had the f100 with some having the swiss cheese frame. You can get a carbed truck with no extra computer crap all the way to 86, just some of them had efi as an option. Dont rule out the 84-86 trucks. Seems to me that they made more of them than the 81-83 trucks.

About the long bed to short bed conversion, no the frame fully extends to the bumper. Making the truck a short bed would also require shorter a driveshaft, relocated axle and springs, and cutting the frame down. The hardest part would be to find an actual short bed.

You should talk to ghostrider about what you want. Hes got an extended cab 2wd long box. Basically but you are looking for. Its a v8 though and probably not for sale. Ask him about what to look out for. I personally only have regular cab 4x4 trucks.

Last edited by 84Red; 01-01-2017 at 08:05 PM.