Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

78 f150 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 78 f150 issues

Hey everyone im currently having some transmission issues with the old 78. i have kind of a basket case. I have a 81 town car 302 engine in it that i have converted from tbi to carb. It has the original c4 trans in it that came with the truck when i got it. from my research the town car came with and AOD in it. Im having issues getting the c4 to work with it. I can get it bolted up almost all the way and it will lock the motor up, but i can spin it backwards and it will move?? Then when i spin it forward again it will move to a certain point and get locked up again. Im not sure if i missed something or what but if anyone can help it would be appreciated!! I was told that maybe the stud length on the torque converter was too long and hanging up on something on the back of the engine? but im not sure if that is the case.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:19 PM

Update i went to the transmission shop today and the guy told ne i need to reuse the c4 flexplate. Hopefull that is the problem. Any other ideas are still appreciated.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 AM

Issue has been resolved!! I put a new flexplate on and made sure the torque converter was fully seated and it bolted right up no problem.

Quick Reply: 78 f150 issues