Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

1986 Ignition Actuator Broken

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Ignition Actuator Broken

Hi, I am brand new. I don't know much about fixing cars, but I'm not shy to try to learn. My father in law passed away recently and my MIL has a farm truck (86 F150) that she broke the ignition switch on. Trying to be a good son in law, I took the wheel off and noticed that the ignition actuator is broken as well. I think there is a piece stuck in the steering column as well. I will attach a photo or two. My question is, do you think I have to replace the whole column, or if I take the column out, that there might be some way to get the piece out to just replace the actuator. Any help is welcomed. Many thanks!

Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The column CAN be rebuilt in-place, but it's VERY complicated. Click this & read the caption:

(phone app link)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 496 Likes on 430 Posts

I replaced one of those "upper" actuators in an 86 long ago and it was a royal PITA!. Probably someone used the steering wheel while locked, to hoist themselves up into the seat and broke it. You have to make sure you get the gear teeth on the new actuator properly "indexed" to get the right amount of throw from that actuator. I did not want to do it again someday and did not reinstall the locking key and its spring which locks the steering in place which is worthless.I do remember partially unbolting the column and laying it on the seat which made it easier. I should have just replaced the whole column from a boneyard which would have been easier.

Last edited by raski; 06-24-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 1986 Ignition Actuator Broken