Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsen Front Diff Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 10:05 AM

Received 727 Likes on 497 Posts

Question Torsen Front Diff Worth It?

I'm debating installing a Torsen front diff in my 2021 F150 and I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with them on the their F150s. Are there any downsides to having a front Torsen installed, increased NVH? Did it make a big enough difference in how your truck drives to make it worth the price/effort? Ideally I'd like to test drive a Tremor with the optional Torsen package to see how I like it, but those are very hard to come by.

While googling this topic, I found some claims that adding a Torsen front diff will increase torque steer, but I thought that torque steer would be reduced when driving straight. Perhaps they meant that the Torsen will have a tendency to pull the front wheels straight when turning as it tries to minimize the wheel speed difference between the front wheels. I've also seen some people complain about increase wear or even the complete failure of their front CV axles.
The following users liked this post:
messi (11-01-2023)
Old 04-17-2022, 10:25 AM

Received 3,935 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I've read about it on the Raptor forum causing torque steer. My mall crawler Raptor doesn't have the torsen diff so I haven't experienced the torque steer, but I believe it.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I added torsen after the fact to my Tremor and here is my two cents.

- In 2wd you will never know it’s there since torque has to be applied for it to lock.
- I think torque steer is an incorrect or slightly misleading description. If it locks and there is a good amount of grip, while you are applying a fair amount of torque (accelerating in a turn for example), the steering is noticeably heavier. Very slight tendency to go back to center (straight). When you stop accelerating it unlocks and everything is normal. There is not a hard pull in a particular direction that I would normally associate with torque steer. I don’t feel you are fighting it, it’s just a bit heavier.
- In slick driving conditions (snow & ice) it’s a real game changer in my opinion. Especially combined with 4WD Auto. The truck claws / pulls itself through turns. It feels much more controllable. I like the effect in heavy rain as well.

I haven’t evaluated it enough offroad in an extreme enough scenario to say it makes a huge difference, but based on my experience in snow I think it’s going to be a benefit. I’m personally happy with the decision to install it.

The following 2 users liked this post by ROBB1:
GoodVibes (03-21-2024), messi (11-01-2023)
Old 04-17-2022, 01:54 PM

Received 171 Likes on 126 Posts

You won't notice a torsen in the front unless you need it. I replaced the front and rear diffs with torsens in an '02 Explorer, which only has AWD/4H/4L, and the only noticeable difference on pavement was that the rear tires barely chirped on sharp corners as they did with the LSD. FYI these were Eaton Truetracs, so other variations with different bias ratios may perform differently.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:12 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Saleen961, If you want to test drive a Tremor with the Torsen Diff. Sands Ford in Pottsville has a black 2022 Tremor in the showroom with that option, I was just there on Friday.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:39 PM

Received 358 Likes on 199 Posts

The HMMWV has Torsen differentials.

if you know how to use them, they are an incredible tool to have.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:40 AM

Received 727 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by thundertracks
Hey Saleen961, If you want to test drive a Tremor with the Torsen Diff. Sands Ford in Pottsville has a black 2022 Tremor in the showroom with that option, I was just there on Friday.
Thank you for the info, I probably won't be able to get there during business hours until Saturday, I just hope it's still there next weekend.

Originally Posted by ROBB1
I added torsen after the fact to my Tremor and here is my two cents.

- In 2wd you will never know it’s there since torque has to be applied for it to lock.
- I think torque steer is an incorrect or slightly misleading description. If it locks and there is a good amount of grip, while you are applying a fair amount of torque (accelerating in a turn for example), the steering is noticeably heavier. Very slight tendency to go back to center (straight). When you stop accelerating it unlocks and everything is normal. There is not a hard pull in a particular direction that I would normally associate with torque steer. I don’t feel you are fighting it, it’s just a bit heavier.
- In slick driving conditions (snow & ice) it’s a real game changer in my opinion. Especially combined with 4WD Auto. The truck claws / pulls itself through turns. It feels much more controllable. I like the effect in heavy rain as well.

I haven’t evaluated it enough offroad in an extreme enough scenario to say it makes a huge difference, but based on my experience in snow I think it’s going to be a benefit. I’m personally happy with the decision to install it.
Thank you for the detailed info, what you described makes much more sense to me as I also equate torque steer with a strong pull away from center and I didn't understand why that would occur with a Torsen.

After adding a 4A transfer case to my XLT, most of my day to day driving has been in 4A. Would you think that adding the Torsen front diff would be a good decision for someone who does a lot of spirited driving in 4A? My truck spins hard if I take off too quickly in 2WD, so I'd like to keep 4A as my default setting.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:38 AM

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Related but not...

I had a 4Runner with a Torsen center diff and it was one of the best AWD systems I have every owned when it came to seemlessness of operation and overall control and predictability. Turn the nanny's off and the thing had such transparent and linear balance that you could drive it like a rally car. No on-off throttle jerking. No throttle lift rear bias.

If my mission was off-road, I would be adding the front Torsen to my F150.
The following users liked this post:
GoodVibes (03-21-2024)
Old 04-18-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 358 Likes on 199 Posts

Id rather have Torsen diffs in both rear ends.

The next truck will be purchased accordingly.

open diffs in both ends and then add the Torsen later.

I wasn’t aware the Raptors were factory with Torsen when I got my 2020.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:29 AM

Received 414 Likes on 240 Posts

I have heard from Torsen that they are actually looking at development of a combination helical LSD and locking differential. These have existed in the past (such as in the 2003-2006 TJ Rubicon rear differential) but are exceptionally rare elsewhere. I am aware of zero aftermarket options.

Auburn Ected currently makes a combo LSD/locking differential, but it is actually clutch based, similar to the standard 4A transfer case. It is neither a helical LS nor a true locker.

That said the initial application of the combination Torsen LSD/locker is probably going to be the JK/JL D44 axles, but they may also look at other applications. Hopefully something like this becomes available for the F150 front and rear at some point.

I am still debating front locker vs helical LSD myself. Leaning towards the LSD due to the reduced risk of popping a shaft or a disconnect.

I’d imagine a clutch-based LSD could actually work quite well in a front application, given that in 2WD the hubs are disengaged and the clutches aren’t wearing. It wouldn’t be as powerful as a helical gear LSD, but certainly cheaper and probably have fewer handling quirks depending upon how much preload the installer sets on the clutch packs.

Last edited by Steel City 07; 04-18-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Torsen Front Diff Worth It?