Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerboost 12V Battery State of Charge low

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 09:13 PM

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Powerboost 12V Battery State of Charge low

I guess another gremlin creeping into the King Ranch, got this message this AM. A buddy of mine also with a Powerboost got this message within days of mine - we got our trucks within a couple weeks of another back in April. When this message came up most of the electrical stuff - IE radio and such wouldn't work. Nice work Ford, kinda embarrassing to be honest. This & the Bluecruise debacle has me thinking I bought the wrong truck. I hope Ford monitors this forum, get your house in order. No way this platform was tested like it should have been.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:16 AM

Received 1,185 Likes on 817 Posts

Don't get so excted just yet.
If you search the issue, Ford knows there is a problem with early production.
Get back to the dealer so it's on file to have it addressed.
Good luck.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Official Ford Account

Received 460 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by todda7117
I guess another gremlin creeping into the King Ranch, got this message this AM. A buddy of mine also with a Powerboost got this message within days of mine - we got our trucks within a couple weeks of another back in April. When this message came up most of the electrical stuff - IE radio and such wouldn't work. Nice work Ford, kinda embarrassing to be honest. This & the Bluecruise debacle has me thinking I bought the wrong truck. I hope Ford monitors this forum, get your house in order. No way this platform was tested like it should have been.

Hi there. Go ahead and send us a private message with your truck's VIN and approximate mileage. I’ll look into this for you on my end. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ChiefC (01-02-2023)
Old 11-30-2021, 10:08 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

With the ICE vehicles, if you don't drive the vehicle enough, the 12V battery does exactly this. With a hybrid, one expects the 12V battery to be trickle charged off of the hybrid battery, but if one doesn't drive enough, and leaves the hybrid battery low, then this may not happen. While I'm not up to date on Powerboost issues, the key to keeping the 12V battery charged up is driving, i.e. drives of 30 minutes or longer. Or, if you're going to let it sit, put it on a Battery Tender Plus. I kept getting the warning in my 2013, and did this in 2014. I just replaced the original battery last week after 8 years, and only because a cell had died.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:58 AM

Received 266 Likes on 182 Posts

Also, with all the tech in these trucks, they can "wake up" to do stuff like check for updates or requests to lock/unlock/start/top, which will consume some power, plus the security system consumes a little power, and the perimeter lighting system which looks for a key fob as well as the remote entry system can and will consume energy as well. So basically they're "always on".
HeySarge (08-03-2022)
Old 11-30-2021, 07:43 PM

Overall I know all auto companies have issues, no argument there. But come on, battery issues on a 2021 truck a few months driven off the lot? Put a larger battery in it if there is too much tech going on behind the scene. I bought this truck to use, 12,200 miles already. I can see this truck stranding me @ the airport after business travel, not something I'm looking forward to. I drive this truck daily, no reason the battery should be drained given how I've used it up till this point. If it comes down to putting a trickle on it daily, will do that until I can trade it off for something for reliable, just saying.
bud150 (10-27-2023)
Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 PM

Received 4,778 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Overall I know all auto companies have issues, no argument there. But come on, battery issues on a 2021 truck a few months driven off the lot? Put a larger battery in it if there is too much tech going on behind the scene. I bought this truck to use, 12,200 miles already. I can see this truck stranding me @ the airport after business travel, not something I'm looking forward to. I drive this truck daily, no reason the battery should be drained given how I've used it up till this point. If it comes down to putting a trickle on it daily, will do that until I can trade it off for something for reliable, just saying.
A larger battery wouldn't really fix the issue, maybe a bandaid that makes it take a day or two longer to show low.

PS: You should always have a stand alone method to jump start a vehicle, in your vehicle. I hate to say it (not really) but if a low battery means you got stranded, you failed to prepare for life. It happens, to everybody, and every vehicle, at some point.

I am personally partial to this, jumped many a vehicle with it, has literally never failed with a low/dead battery

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFJLP6

And old fashion cables too

If you're ready to trade in your truck because you got a "12 volt battery low" message...good luck out there
MTB Hiker (12-19-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
A larger battery wouldn't really fix the issue, maybe a bandaid that makes it take a day or two longer to show low.

PS: You should always have a stand alone method to jump start a vehicle, in your vehicle. I hate to say it (not really) but if a low battery means you got stranded, you failed to prepare for life. It happens, to everybody, and every vehicle, at some point.

I am personally partial to this, jumped many a vehicle with it, has literally never failed with a low/dead battery

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFJLP6

And old fashion cables too

If you're ready to trade in your truck because you got a "12 volt battery low" message...good luck out there
I sure hope your joking, I didn't drop 73k on a truck to jump start it. I'm not in that arena any longer, bought something like this to drive, little issues no problem but getting stranded or jumping won't happen here. Am I ready to unload this truck, heck yeah I'm not brand loyal at all! A simple search on this forum shows this is a larger issue --> https://www.f150forum.com/f129/messa...496081/index9/. BTW, when this happens all kinds of electrical items shutdown, not just a message. This is becoming a recall condition, if wipers or lights fail because of this & Ford ignores it they are liable for whatever happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by todda7117:
bud150 (10-27-2023), Terryupnu (02-16-2023)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:27 PM

Received 4,778 Likes on 2,820 Posts

I sure hope your joking, I didn't drop 73k on a truck to jump start it. I'm not in that arena any longer, bought something like this to drive, little issues no problem but getting stranded or jumping won't happen here. Am I ready to unload this truck, heck yeah I'm not brand loyal at all! A simple search on this forum shows this is a larger issue --> https://www.f150forum.com/f129/messa...496081/index9/. BTW, when this happens all kinds of electrical items shutdown, not just a message. This is becoming a recall condition, if wipers or lights fail because of this & Ford ignores it they are liable for whatever happens.
Have you had to jump start it?
Old 12-01-2021, 04:34 PM

Received 266 Likes on 182 Posts

In a variety of threads here there seems to have been a bad batch of OEM batteries put into trucks. Your dealer should be aware of that. It might be that simple. And of course there have been a number of reports of trucks being delivered with the battery cables not connected tight enough. Always best to try the easy stuff first. Also I would think that if you pull the negative cable and put a multimeter set to monitor current across the cable to the negative terminal you'll see what you're drawing with the truck stopped (might need to disable any light under the hood if any - I forget if there is one). And leave your smart key in the house so the perimeter lights don't come on.

Battery issues like this can really only have a few causes: current draw, inadequate charging, bad battery, or bad sensor/software indicating a false issue. Does the truck have trouble starting? If it starts but the electronics (radio, etc) don't work, I'd lean towards sensing/software issue.

Quick Reply: Powerboost 12V Battery State of Charge low