Topic Sponsor
2021+ Ford F150 Discussion of the 14th generation F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 F150 BCM replacement procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2021 F150 BCM replacement procedure

Last weekends camping trip wasn’t a fun one lol.
short story, turned accessory mode on in the truck to roll windows up. Got halfway through and windows stopped, truck flashed “no key detected” and was dead as could be. IPC would wake up if a door was opened, and parking lights would flash when the tailgate button was pressed on the fob, but that was it. Door keypad didn’t work nor any other functions. Ignition switch did nothing.

I’m a mechanic myself and have done lots of Canbus/module diagnostics so I went at it for a bit. Figured the BCM was most likely dead and off it went to the dealer.

Dealer confirms BCM is dead. Only outputting 3.2V to the ignition button. Order one up, they installed it, functions began working and apparently when programming both the new BCM and IPC are failing and now the truck is more dead than ever. IPC doesn’t even wake up with door opening etc.

My question is why was the IPC being updated. I understand all the modules are at a specific software level together and need to be compatible, but wouldn’t the BCM just be brought up to the software level of the original one? Very familiar with module programming on highway tractors, but not FDRS.

can anyone shed some light on what might be going on here? IPC and BCM are both now unresponsive and not taking updates. Is this the correct procedure the dealer was following? They confirmed they were not updating all software to current, just programming BCM. I had the OTA issue I resolved earlier this year and have been getting updates for the last few months, but still well out of date.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:37 PM

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Was the BCM corroded or water damaged? That is the most likely reason for failure. If so, were the top plug harnesses inspected carefully? There are pigtails for plug replacement in the workshop wiring info. Damage is hard to see and may require a depin on a few wires because the pins are very small and the pin density is high.

​​
Old 04-28-2024, 12:37 AM

Received 555 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikP
... My question is why was the IPC being updated. I understand all the modules are at a specific software level together and need to be compatible, but wouldn’t the BCM just be brought up to the software level of the original one? Very familiar with module programming on highway tractors, but not FDRS.
I'm gonna offer the guess that FDRS, in its infinite (but not infallible) wisdom, prompted the tech to install the latest version of both BCM and IPC module firmware applicable to your VIN, so that's why the tech did it.

Why FDRS prompted that, and how and / or why that didn't yield success ..... sorry, no guess on that one.

Good Luck!
Old 04-28-2024, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by adaycj
Was the BCM corroded or water damaged? That is the most likely reason for failure. If so, were the top plug harnesses inspected carefully? There are pigtails for plug replacement in the workshop wiring info. Damage is hard to see and may require a depin on a few wires because the pins are very small and the pin density is high.

​​
I personally had a look myself before I got it towed, connectors looked fine. Not a sign of corrosion and I did give it a thorough inspection. Even looked for any signs of water intrusion into the cab around the BCM. I don’t believe that was an issue and the techs at the dealer didn’t say anything either.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by fiver
I'm gonna offer the guess that FDRS, in its infinite (but not infallible) wisdom, prompted the tech to install the latest version of both BCM and IPC module firmware applicable to your VIN, so that's why the tech did it.

Why FDRS prompted that, and how and / or why that didn't yield success ..... sorry, no guess on that one.

Good Luck!
that’s a good thought. I’m well out of date, somewhere around version 1.7.1 or something I believe. Just fixed the APIM issue end of last year so about 3 years behind on updates lol.

I’m hoping this is just an issue of software incompatibility, but I'm not sure. Dealer is kinda leaning towards an IPC replacement, but I know the GWM also was failing updates. I believe there was service literature about the GWM being bad causing IPC software failures.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by fiver

Good Luck!
Update, yup that’s exactly what happen. Tech was prompted to update all modules and during the IPC update it bricked and no communication now.

sucks cause now it’s my problem, my time and my dollar.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:58 PM

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

…the dealership bricking your truck is on your dollar? I’d be very firm (yet polite) that the costs associated with the original fix are yours to bear. Anything on top of that comes from dealer or Ford.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Neversummer
…the dealership bricking your truck is on your dollar? I’d be very firm (yet polite) that the costs associated with the original fix are yours to bear. Anything on top of that comes from dealer or Ford.
problem is they say it was required to update all modules. I spoke to different dealers who said it was on the earlier F150s but not a 2021. I’m told you can replace and update just the BCM from a dealership that didn’t just Brick my IPC. To be honest with you I’m not a ford tech and cannot be certain my my dealer with my truck isn’t telling the truth, or if they’re lying to cover their ***
Old 04-29-2024, 07:34 PM

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

I’d keep pushing up the chain. Neither you nor your truck caused this latest issue (that I can see), so additional costs are the costs of running a business. Either the tech made a mistake, the replacement part was faulty, or Ford’s procedure was inadequate. Any way you slice it, why is it your responsibility to pay for it?

Again, firm but polite.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Neversummer
I’d keep pushing up the chain. Neither you nor your truck caused this latest issue (that I can see), so additional costs are the costs of running a business. Either the tech made a mistake, the replacement part was faulty, or Ford’s procedure was inadequate. Any way you slice it, why is it your responsibility to pay for it?

Again, firm but polite.
I agree but I’m not getting anywhere. I’ve gotten more answers as to what happened, but still saying it was required.

replaced BCM and updated to a couple modules were REQUIRED, one of those modules being the IPC. IPC module failed updating twice and now doesn’t do anything, can’t be programmed or communicated with whatsoever.

Tech said it was part of the BCM replacement no more no less.

no warranty assistance, no goodwill, they don’t want to proceed until they hear back from ford tech support which could be up to two weeks.

literally the only month we plan our vacations with our travel trailer and now it looks like we’re not going to get to do any camping. So frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2021 F150 BCM replacement procedure