Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner box

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 11:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tuner box

I live in California and saw a box that popped up as a add a while back that gave you I think 40 more HP and allowed you to also say change Speedo calibration if you changed tires sizes, etc. it did not flash the chip, but ran off its own box. But now can’t remember who made that! They said not legal in California but if it doesn’t change the chip I’ll take my chances. And my son goes to school in Reno so have a Nevada address I can ship to. But what was the brand on that - or suggestions. I bring the truck to the track, 1/4 mile. And tow my mustang on long drives to other tracks, truck is raced occasionally. But who knows with the right tune….
Old 12-28-2023, 01:07 AM

Received 353 Likes on 230 Posts

Get a real custom tune given that you have an out of state address. Return to stock for smog check.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by mulyhuntr
Get a real custom tune given that you have an out of state address. Return to stock for smog check.
but I liked how the other box gave you ways to view more engine conditions, calibrate speedometer to different size tires - which I’m getting - and I heard that California is looking at if the factory tune has been changed. This dosent change the factory tune. Anyone have one of these? Can’t remember the manufacturer. You need to order a separate box with it from them to manage your settings and view engine conditions.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:35 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 686 Likes on 498 Posts

If you're adding more horsepower you're changing the factory tune. How else would you get there?

Also, using somehting like the SCT x4 will give you the ability to change tire size and view engine conditions.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
If you're adding more horsepower you're changing the factory tune. How else would you get there?

Also, using somehting like the SCT x4 will give you the ability to change tire size and view engine conditions.
I looked that up, says it does not work on a 2022 F150 3.5. According to their web site anyway.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:09 PM

Received 353 Likes on 230 Posts

Do some more research. You could read for days. I wouldn't throw a "tuner box" on one of these. Give Gearhead tuning a hard look.
The following users liked this post:
J Pesons (02-05-2024)
Old 12-28-2023, 03:17 PM
Big truck Driver

Received 199 Likes on 135 Posts

If you're going to do something, do it the correct way. Get a proper tune. Not some gimmick in a box.
Old 12-28-2023, 04:59 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by rdeitz
I live in California and saw a box that popped up as a add a while back that gave you I think 40 more HP and allowed you to also say change Speedo calibration if you changed tires sizes, etc. it did not flash the chip, but ran off its own box. But now can’t remember who made that! They said not legal in California but if it doesn’t change the chip I’ll take my chances. And my son goes to school in Reno so have a Nevada address I can ship to. But what was the brand on that - or suggestions. I bring the truck to the track, 1/4 mile. And tow my mustang on long drives to other tracks, truck is raced occasionally. But who knows with the right tune….
A lot of silly stubborn responses…. I ran a JB4 on an 2020, and an 2022 3.5 eco, and they work great on any of the ecoboost engines and it was better than an LMS tune.

so if you don’t want a full tune, those are a close second, particularly when paired with a pedal tuner.

Im not sure which engine you have (no visible sig when mobile), but if you have an eco, there are other options than full tuning.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:00 PM

Deleted

Last edited by isthatahemi; 12-28-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scott91370

Pretty simple, but manipulating the boost signal, causing the PCM to add boost.

Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

And the SCT X4 is a piece of junk, I own one and use it for flash tuning my eco, when it works….
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (12-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Tuner box