Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet exhaust idea - Dual OEM Mufflers in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:44 PM

Received 1,034 Likes on 741 Posts

Default Quiet exhaust idea - Dual OEM Mufflers in parallel

So, after about 4 different exhaust setups on my 2019 2.7 - I am going back to an OEM muffler and tailpipe with a 3” resonator delete section. Unlike the 3.5, which sounds okay, the 2.7 sounds lousy.

OEM muffler is reasonably quiet, even with downpipes and 3” resonator bypass. Wouldn’t 2 OEM mufflers, piped in side by side, be quiet and have half the restriction?

Lets assume for the moment the truck is making 540 crank horsepower on an E55 blend of e98 race and 94 octane. I may upgrade the turbos next year and that should close in on 630hp or so. Inevitable arguments about actual power levels aside, I wonder 2 things, (and they are not the same for the knowns reasons regarding how power output is controlled on the ecoboost.)
-Actual restriction, in the form of backpressure
-Actual impact on max engine power output

So, I’m wondering if dual mufflers would help. Not really considering doing it, a mostly theoretical discussion.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:17 PM

Received 802 Likes on 531 Posts

Why not leave stock exhaust and run cutouts?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:42 PM

Default At the risk of breaking forum rules...

I run at the track maybe twice a year, but I’m out every Sunday night.......I want the best performance on the street.
Also - Cutouts would void my warranty.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:35 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

The stock muffler is a tuned unit, and by that I mean it is calibrated for the 2.7, displacement, firing order, etc, with resonance cancelling chambers and whatnot built in designed to mitigate annoying frequencies of that particular engine. While I'm pretty sure two in parallel would still be quiet, the tuned nature of the stock muffler means you don't know what kind of sound quality you would have. Not to mention those stock mufflers are huge, and not all that light.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by isthatahemi
I run at the track maybe twice a year, but I’m out every Sunday night.......I want the best performance on the street.
Also - Cutouts would void my warranty.
What?? What warranty are you worried about? If the truck is making 500+ hp and your shooting for 600+ what are you talking about...
The following users liked this post:
2AF150GA (10-03-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Danengraham
What?? What warranty are you worried about? If the truck is making 500+ hp and your shooting for 600+ what are you talking about...
I don't quite understand either. 4 different exhaust setups, downpipes, and resonator delete that won't void warranty but cutouts will?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadCon
The stock muffler is a tuned unit, and by that I mean it is calibrated for the 2.7, displacement, firing order, etc, with resonance cancelling chambers and whatnot built in designed to mitigate annoying frequencies of that particular engine. While I'm pretty sure two in parallel would still be quiet, the tuned nature of the stock muffler means you don't know what kind of sound quality you would have. Not to mention those stock mufflers are huge, and not all that light.
Exactly. How much extra horsepower would be required to overcome the additional weight. I don't think it would be worth it honestly.
If I knew then what I know now considering all of the different setups i've done and tested I'd leave my catback 100% stock and put two boost activated cutouts on my y-pipe. Simple yet extremely effective.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Danengraham
It has stage3’s aftermarket power train warranty through 5 star.
The following users liked this post:
Danengraham (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ecks
I don't quite understand either. 4 different exhaust setups, downpipes, and resonator delete that won't void warranty but cutouts will?
Yes. Never assume.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BadCon
The stock can is maybe 25 lbs (I have one sitting in my shop currently), but it is a bit big for sure. I don’t really care particularly about the sound (it should sound stock-ish), but my assumption would be that it would act like a single muffler with regards to tone, it allow the flow of 2 mufflers, I wonder if there is anything to be gained power wise though.

Partly a discussion on account of a good number of people going in circles to get quiet and best performance, a couple guys with multiple mufflers and resonators, which seems more work and less effective than 2 OEM mufflers

I take it from the replies that most don’t think the stock muffler is holding back much a 500+hp. Interesting.

FWIW - it’s not straight through as many seem to say, not sure how many twists and turns it has, but from having had 2 of them With the ends chopped off, there is no straight flow path on the ecoboost mufflers.

Last edited by isthatahemi; 08-10-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Quiet exhaust idea - Dual OEM Mufflers in parallel