Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line lock install completed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 260 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Line lock install completed

The installation went very well. I opted to install two solenoids (Biondo Racing), one on each front wheel. The other choice would have been to install one solenoid between the master cylinder and the ABS unit. One reason for installing as I did is that I didn't want any interference with the ABS function and I didn't have to remove the blower inlet and work under and behind the master cylinder. In addition, the supposed diode that was needed for that type of installation (one unit between the master and ABS) is unnecessary when installed with a solenoid at each wheel. I did a few trial burn outs and encountered no problems, codes, throttle cutting off or anything. Total expenditure for parts and all is probably about $150-$175, depending on if a person has any existing wire and connectors and stuff already in hand.

The unicorn part in this installation is an adapter fitting that isn't readily available. There are any number of ways to adapt the existing hard line to the solenoid, however at some point a conversion to a metric female inverted flare, 10mm x 1.0 is going to be necessary. I looked up the specs for the existing flex line for my truck on one of the auto parts stores, and they had them listed as 3/8x24 inverted flare....and it's wrong. I can't speak for all model years, but for a '13, 10mm x 1.0 is the magic number.

In order to do this without cutting and re-flaring hard lines, a brake line will need to be purchased (or fabricated locally in my case, to go from the bottom of the solenoid to the flex hose. There are any number of ways to accomplish this, so I won't bore with details. The necessary part as mentioned in my installation, is a 1/8npt male to 10 x 1 inverted female. Everything else can be figured out in any number of ways. I had two custom lines made with 3/8x24 male tube nuts on one end and the 10 x 1 tube nuts on the other. With those two line manufactured and the unicorn adapter located, the rest was a breeze. I'll post a couple pics in the next post.

Oh btw the unicorn adapter is available at Low Range Offroad
The following users liked this post:
robbieg (03-21-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 06:10 PM

Passenger side install

Activation button. Power is sourced from the 12v power supply next to the radio. I was going to install a fuse kit, however the power supply is already fused (somewhere) so I left it as is without a dedicated fuse for the line lock set up.

Driver side install
Old 03-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Here's a basic parts list for my install
Biondo Racing solenoids
1/8npt male x 3/8x24 inverted flare female x 2
1/8npt male x 10mm x 1.0mm inverted flare female (Low Range Offroad is the only place I found these) (2 each)
custom brake lines 16" long with a 3/8 x 24 male tube nut on one end and a 10mm x 1.0mm tube nut on the other (2 each)

Rocker switch, wire and connectors (butt splices and vampire connectors is what I used)

I opted not to solder all this stuff as it isn't anything critical such as for fuel injector circuits or anything like that. I merely butt spliced and T tapped existing wires for source and load connections.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

So what you're saying is you're going to do some juicy burnouts at the track on Friday??
Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM

If it isn't raining I plan to go. I don't think juicy burnouts are required with the drag radials I'm running, just enough burn out to clean them off and warm them up. I could probably get by without a line lock even. It just makes it a little easier.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Here's the hard to find adapter
The following users liked this post:
maxtow150 (09-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Line lock install completed