Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Swap for 17 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 04:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Swap for 17 5.0L

I've been thinking about doing an intake manifold swap for a while now, but am unsure of which one would be best to maintain low/mid range torque. I would definitely be purchasing a harness to keep IMRC active. Currently have an OZ tune, 3.55 gears and stock 32" tires. Is the 18 truck manifold a worthwhile upgrade for the gen 2 trucks? Or is 18 GT the way to go? Not looking to win any races, just want a bit more power. Longtubes in the future....
The following users liked this post:
ABF150Fan (02-21-2024)
Old 03-01-2023, 05:55 PM

Received 353 Likes on 230 Posts

Look two threads down and 10 threads down.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:30 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 744 Posts

I wouldn't do a mustang GT manifold again, but would recommend a 2018 Truck manifold, ported if you feel the need.

Best intake manifold upgrade is a Whipple though lol
Old 03-26-2023, 06:41 PM

Received 433 Likes on 152 Posts

I've got a 19 truck manifold laying around if you want to buy one
The following users liked this post:
ABF150Fan (04-21-2024)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:43 AM

Received 550 Likes on 329 Posts

18 Truck manifold is a turd, your stock piece is better. If you do a lot of towing, forget the idea. If you're looking for an overall broader powerband, the best overall intake is the GT350. Utilizes stock IMRC connections (for 15-17), purge valve is plug and play, Boss intake high end with the marginally stronger lower end of the GT. It even looks pretty stockish for the sleeper thing. The downside is the higher cost vs other options and it requires a TB adapter unless you convert to a GT350 throttlebody. I've used both methods and could go either way with it. TB offers a small touch more power but if you use an adapter a stock replacement tb is easier and cheaper to acquire if you have a tb failure which does happen sometimes.

18-22 GT intake kinda sucks IMO. Yeah it offers a broader powerband than stock but it isn't as plug and play as other options and it doesn't have the ceiling that Boss/350 offer. Some like to tell people that it has a lot more torque lower in the range than 350/boss but having had them all I can tell you that it doesn't drive or feel any different below 7000rpm. You do notice the difference above 7000 though.

Last edited by Dapepper9; 03-27-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dapepper9
18 Truck manifold is a turd, your stock piece is better. If you do a lot of towing, forget the idea. If you're looking for an overall broader powerband, the best overall intake is the GT350. Utilizes stock IMRC connections (for 15-17), purge valve is plug and play, Boss intake high end with the marginally stronger lower end of the GT. It even looks pretty stockish for the sleeper thing. The downside is the higher cost vs other options and it requires a TB adapter unless you convert to a GT350 throttlebody. I've used both methods and could go either way with it. TB offers a small touch more power but if you use an adapter a stock replacement tb is easier and cheaper to acquire if you have a tb failure which does happen sometimes.

18-22 GT intake kinda sucks IMO. Yeah it offers a broader powerband than stock but it isn't as plug and play as other options and it doesn't have the ceiling that Boss/350 offer. Some like to tell people that it has a lot more torque lower in the range than 350/boss but having had them all I can tell you that it doesn't drive or feel any different below 7000rpm. You do notice the difference above 7000 though.
When you mean “tb failure” do you mean there’s a possibility that the gt350 throttle body won’t work on my 17’ ? I’m wanting to go gt350 but want to make sure it’ll work. Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:21 PM

Received 550 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Delaxel
When you mean “tb failure” do you mean there’s a possibility that the gt350 throttle body won’t work on my 17’ ? I’m wanting to go gt350 but want to make sure it’ll work. Thanks for the insight.
With proper tuning, it works fine. Highly recommend OzTuning, I’ve used others that couldn’t dial it in whereas Oz drives as smooth as factory.

i meant that if the electric motor that moves the TB blade malfunctions and requires the TB to be replaced. $50 on eBay later and I was good to go. It happens. OE throttle bodies it’s less of a concern but I’ve experienced it on a factory unit myself. Aftermarket are far more prone to it though. Gt350 throttlebody being an OE piece it is quite reliable but it is something to keep in mind. Fortunately, a replacement is only $200 which is a bargain when you consider that 1 BBK unit is about $500 and more likely to give you issue

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Swap for 17 5.0L