Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers are installed Need a recommendation on Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Headers are installed Need a recommendation on Muffler

Got the truck back from the shop this evening for the header and Y-pipe install. Cost for install was 567.00 with taxes. Owner of the shop said next person with a Newer Ford F-150 will be closer to 800.00. He stated that the passenger side of the headers is a bear to get installed. Well all I can say is I was shocked no check engine light on start up until I got 3 miles down the road and then it appeared. But the main thing is WOW this thing is loud if you rev it up beyond 3k. Didn't rev it any further until I get my 5-Start Tune adjustments from Mike sent to me for the P-Mass intake and headers. So i definitely know that i want a quieter muffler than the Magnaflow. What would be the best deep sounding tone muffler that would tame it down some and would be quieter than the Magnaflow that comes standard with the SS side exit exhaust system? Any first hand experience and recommendations?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a borla or corsa both eliminate drone and sound awesome
Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

Put the OEM back on.
Add an electric exhaust cutout.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,451 Likes on 961 Posts

If you want something that you can control, quiet or loud, you should look at a Hooker Blackheart muffler. It works like the original Corvette NPP muffler, via a vacuum-actuated valve. There would be a fair amount of fabrication involved, but they are a very reliable system in comparison to e-cutouts, which are somewhat problematic. I have the NPP mufflers on my 2012 Centennial Grand Sport and love them.

Last edited by BadAV; 01-07-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 244 Likes on 97 Posts

Varex muffler has actuated valve. Watch some clips on youtube. You can go from loud to quieter than stock.
The following users liked this post:
OCMike (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

I would suggest going with the Corsa Performance sport level exhaust if you are looking for a good quality sound without having a lot of drone. Corsa usually sells the entire cat back systems that would connect from the mid pipe to the rear and does also offer them normally in side exit configurations. We use most all of the top name brands including American Racing Headers, Borla, Corsa, and Stainless works here in the shop depnding on what type of build. But Corsa is well known for providing a great performance tone without being too loud or raspy sounding. Then you can also upgrade the midpipe to eliminate the resonator if you decide you want to make it a bit louder which takes it from their Sport level sound to their Extreme sound level. Usually on trucks with long tube headers we stick with the Sport sound level and leave the resonator in place to maintain a better sound level since the headers already add quite a bit more on their own. Feel free to shoot us a PM, call,, or email if you'd be interested in getting a quote and we would be happy to help out.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad2013FX4
Varex muffler has actuated valve. Watch some clips on youtube. You can go from loud to quieter than stock.
That's what I'm going with.

Mike
Old 01-08-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Problem with headers is all the rasp. I had corsa, corsa sport, Borla and Roush. Ended up doing a 3.5” diamond eye exhaust and muffler with a large vibrant resonator. The rasp is totally gone, doesn’t drone and is plenty loud with deep rumble.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand header did you decide upon? Did the installer comment on fit and any interference points? Is an online video available to show complications? The bench mark for difficult header installs has been the FE Mustangs. How night yours compare? Meaning, is it necessary to remove both motor mounts, starter, rocker covers, and every engine bracket?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtdon
What brand header did you decide upon? Did the installer comment on fit and any interference points? Is an online video available to show complications? The bench mark for difficult header installs has been the FE Mustangs. How night yours compare? Meaning, is it necessary to remove both motor mounts, starter, rocker covers, and every engine bracket?
the header installation on these trucks is very difficult I’ve been told. A lot of places quote me almost the same amount for installation as it costs for an economy set of headers. Basically a whole days worth of work.

Quick Reply: Headers are installed Need a recommendation on Muffler