Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.

Choosing an engine builder

Old 05-18-2019, 02:15 AM
Yup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Choosing an engine builder

Hopefully, this is in the right subforum. And, I am just asking the general question from those with experience in moderate builds, not specifically looking for shop recommendations unless you have first-hand experience having something built in Texas. (Looking for forged internals and all the trimmings, 850 whp de-tuned to a comparatively mild 750hwp daily)

So, in general, did you have an engine built by a shop with a proven track record and have it shipped, and then install it locally? Or, did you find someone local that came recommended?

I have 2-3 big names in the business in mind that I would trust with my coin to build what I am looking for. That said, they are all quite a ways away from me in the Dallas area. This is not to say that there isn't someone local to me, just no one I know of. To be fair, I've only been here for 3 years.

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Senile member

Received 528 Likes on 386 Posts

I'm sure there's someone in your area.

I'd recommend Sai Li, because he uses a machine shop I've had great experience with here in FL...….but again not local to you.

GL
Old 05-18-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the best contact Tim @MPR here in Boynton teach. He is regarded as one of the top ford engine builders in the country. He did a lightning motor for me a few yrs ago. I'm lucky as I live 6 miles from him. the only down side is that he has a waiting list as he builds motors for people coast to coast.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Shops in Texas that I know can build a Coyote competently

Triangle Speed Shop - Orange
Midnight Performance - Houston
HPP - Lewisville

If this is for the truck in your signature though it'll live just fine a 850 rwhp. I have no plans on building mine.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Yup

Originally Posted by Spooled View Post
Shops in Texas that I know can build a Coyote competently

Triangle Speed Shop - Orange
Midnight Performance - Houston
HPP - Lewisville

If this is for the truck in your signature though it'll live just fine a 850 rwhp. I have no plans on building mine.
It is for the same truck, probably lol. Iím seriously considering getting a regular cab and building a street truck. Iím going the other way with the truck in my sig, Icons and 33s. Iím considering starting a gen3 5.0 build and making that decision when it is complete.

Anywho, thanks for the recommendations. Iíve worked with HPP for minor stuff lately, theyíre the closest competent shop to me. They welded bungs in my Whipple coolant tank and theyíre who I took my truck to to get a baseline Dyno sheet after the Whipple install but before aggressive tuning. Iíll give them a call and start that conversation.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkhunt View Post
It is for the same truck, probably lol. Iím seriously considering getting a regular cab and building a street truck. Iím going the other way with the truck in my sig, Icons and 33s. Iím considering starting a gen3 5.0 build and making that decision when it is complete.

Anywho, thanks for the recommendations. Iíve worked with HPP for minor stuff lately, theyíre the closest competent shop to me. They welded bungs in my Whipple coolant tank and theyíre who I took my truck to to get a baseline Dyno sheet after the Whipple install but before aggressive tuning. Iíll give them a call and start that conversation.
BDS and 35's Thank me later..
Old 05-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Yup

Originally Posted by Ecks View Post
BDS and 35's Thank me later..
I canít see sigs on my mobile, are you the guy that has a 1/4 mile video on in your sig on 35s?

How far did you lift, 4Ē? I thought about that, but man I need to fit in parking garages.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkhunt View Post
I canít see sigs on my mobile, are you the guy that has a 1/4 mile video on in your sig on 35s?

How far did you lift, 4Ē? I thought about that, but man I need to fit in parking garages.
Yep that's me. 6" lift and no I can't even fit in my house garage.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:01 PM
Yup

Originally Posted by Ecks View Post
Yep that's me. 6" lift and no I can't even fit in my house garage.
Danngit. Welp, I waited for the stage 5 level for 2 months, and the truck goes in tomorrow for that, rear springs, and stainless brake lines. I'll run it for the summer and see how I like it.
I went for the black Roush wheels and P-rated Nitto 305/55/20s (not the load range E tires they offer them with on their website).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Choosing an engine builder

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: