Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCB Tuning Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BCB Tuning Issues

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum but not new to the ecoboost world. I have a 2017 3.5 Ecoboost and ordered the Nguage package from BCB tuning with their adaptive tunes and I have been having an issue with their performance Highlander tune. The truck is great on the tune for daily driving however when I do a WOT pull from a roll, the tuck shift fine from 1st to 2nd but at the top of the RPMS ( around 5200 to 5500 ) the truck won't shift, almost like its stuck in gear and it just hold the RPMS around 5000. Has anyone had this issue
Thanks guys.

Last edited by Randy Sidwell; 11-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 845 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Sidwell
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum but not new to the ecoboost world. I have a 2017 3.5 Ecoboost and ordered the Nguage package from BCB tuning with their adaptive tunes and I have been having an issue with their performance Highlander tune. The truck is great on the tune for daily driving however when I do a WOT pull from a roll, the tuck shift fine from 1st to 2nd but at the top of the RPMS ( around 5200 to 5500 ) the truck won't shift, almost like its stuck in gear and it just hold the RPMS around 5000. So basically the truck won't shift to the next gear. Has anyone had this issue. I have it recorded on video and sent all this information to BCB tuning. They said they can't diagnose it and said I need to take it to a shop for further problem solving witch is a shame. So they are absolutely no help in the matter. When the tuck is back to stock everything is fine which leads me to believe its the tune. I wish BCB would step up their game and help but it looks like I will be going somewhere else in the future.
Thanks guys.
Wow that's pretty crazy they said they can't do anything, kinda rediculous they didn't even try.

Man I don't know what kind of advice to give you except for I would probably buy a single tune from 5 star since you already have the device. I can pretty much guarantee you if you have any similar issues with them they will not give up until they try everything in their power to make it right.
I also have a feeling you won't have that issue with them
Old 10-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,218 Posts

I wonder if this has more to do with N-Guage?
It's sure not common problem with BCB tuning. Definitely not in my experience. KM
Old 10-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 908 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
Wow that's pretty crazy they said they can't do anything, kinda rediculous they didn't even try.

Man I don't know what kind of advice to give you except for I would probably buy a single tune from 5 star since you already have the device. I can pretty much guarantee you if you have any similar issues with them they will not give up until they try everything in their power to make it right.
I also have a feeling you won't have that issue with them
I kinda had the same issue with them when I was seeing my wastegates go to 100% duty cycle on there highlander tune. I sent them a log, he sent over one revision, then just said its fine even though it was still doing it. I was a little weary of my turbos running at max wastegate.

Luckily, I think the wastegates were blowing open and keeping the turbo from going past 220,000 rpm naturally, but they were right there. I think I logged 219,500 on Livelink.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 AM

Received 845 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by mass-hole
I kinda had the same issue with them when I was seeing my wastegates go to 100% duty cycle on there highlander tune. I sent them a log, he sent over one revision, then just said its fine even though it was still doing it. I was a little weary of my turbos running at max wastegate.

Luckily, I think the wastegates were blowing open and keeping the turbo from going past 220,000 rpm naturally, but they were right there. I think I logged 219,500 on Livelink.
Damn!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
Damn!
I forgot to mention, I was getting a underboost CEL with the original tune. So i didnt just ask him to look at it for no reason. I just happened to be logging the truck when the CEL happened which was why I was doing a WOT pull. I looked at the log and noticed the WGDC at 100% ~4200 rpm while the boost was still dropping, which I assumed triggered the CEL.

Thats when I asked him to take a look. I got the one revision, was not getting any more CEL, but it will was going to 100% WGDC so no idea what was changed.
The following users liked this post:
Envious (12-03-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 09:08 AM

If you look into Ford f150 stuck turbo wastegate
Similar problems listed, referencing stuck waste-gates and TSB's.
One post shows a video duplicating the OP's description fairly close. KM
Old 10-24-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2017bluetruck
If you look into Ford f150 stuck turbo wastegate
Similar problems listed, referencing stuck waste-gates and TSB's.
One post shows a video duplicating the OP's description fairly close. KM
Its not a stuck wastegate. BCB's tune was the only one doing it. They were asking the turbos to flow more than they could at my altitude(6500') and the ECU just kept trying make more and more boost until gates got blown open by the exhaust pressure. When it couldnt make the boost it wanted, the CEL was thrown.

The stock 13-16 turbos only flow ~48-50 lbs/min. I was hitting 38-39 on the BCB tune while my other tunes were stopping at ~36-37 and only running 50% WGDC. My ambient pressure is 20% less so my turbos flow 20% less.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:27 PM

mass-hole
,sounds like you diagnosed your situation thoroughly. But as far as the OP it may still apply. Stuck wastegates are an acnowledged problem. I can say that I've had no trouble with the BCB tune on my 2.7, but the highest point in WI is only 1200 feet. KM
Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 189 Likes on 151 Posts

did you also have the benefit of going to their shop?

Quick Reply: BCB Tuning Issues