Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Filter

Alright so this is kind of a crazy and noonish sounding question but it's something I've never really thought of. At this moment I have a 2011 f150 with a 5.0l. I've done a cat back exhaust that dumps behind the rear axle, a volant cold air intake, and at this moment a superchips tune (although that will be returned shortly as I'm unhappy with it.)

My question is this: as long as I get the right diameter and length can I attach any filter to the end of my intake tube? I've normally always stuck with whatever brand name came with the intake tube but I am aware that volant offers better cai options than mine but I'm wondering if changing the filter to one of the "higher end" filters will give me any better gains than what I get from the current filter?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Gains from an air filter ? What gains you mean ?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean just that. Obviously I know the increase in power would come from the ability of the intake to bring in cooler more oxygen rich air. I guess the way I'm wording it isn't right. Will the air filter make any difference in the amount of cool air that the intake takes in therefore granting more power? (other than making it a ram air or fender mounted.)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Nope.. not on the stock 5.0
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you would like an absurd amount of info on air filters and truly how to get the best one, I suggest you read this report: https://shareok.org/bitstream/handle...=1&isAllowed=y

It's beyond overkill in the amount of information in the report, but you should be an air filter master after reading it.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by futurefiveoh
I mean just that. Obviously I know the increase in power would come from the ability of the intake to bring in cooler more oxygen rich air. I guess the way I'm wording it isn't right. Will the air filter make any difference in the amount of cool air that the intake takes in therefore granting more power? (other than making it a ram air or fender mounted.)
Maximum gains will come from no air filter. It's that simple. Filtering costs power.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I look at it this way...

The air filter itself does not add power. It may however reduce the effort required to draw an increased amount of air thus allowing more power to be made. As long as your vehicle can/will utilize the air increase effectively.

Quick Reply: Air Filter