Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

429 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 429 build

Hey everyone, I’m looking for some suggestions from someone who has been there. I have a 56 f100 that originally I had planned on going Coyote motor on. However I just got my hands on a all original 429 out of a 72 police car. I also have a set of freshly redone D3VE heads. I’d love to be around 500hp/500tq but to be honest anything over 400 would be acceptable. I have been looking at stroker kits, possibly boring .030 over. Top end kits with aluminum heads, etc.

So, the question is... what would be the best (cheapest and reliable...can those go together? Lol) option to hit the 500/500 goal? Keep the V3 heads? buy aluminum heads? Get the stroker? Skip the stroker and just bore it? I want to run pump gas and be able to drive it (not daily but fairly
often during the warmer months) I plan to do the work myself and sublet any machining to the local shop. I don’t want a race motor and if I am going to drop thousands I’d rather go coyote motor but being that I have this 429 with a freshly rebuilt c6 I’d like to use it if possible.

thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 750 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by HOFFMAN514
Hey everyone, I’m looking for some suggestions from someone who has been there. I have a 56 f100 that originally I had planned on going Coyote motor on. However I just got my hands on a all original 429 out of a 72 police car. I also have a set of freshly redone D3VE heads. I’d love to be around 500hp/500tq but to be honest anything over 400 would be acceptable. I have been looking at stroker kits, possibly boring .030 over. Top end kits with aluminum heads, etc.

So, the question is... what would be the best (cheapest and reliable...can those go together? Lol) option to hit the 500/500 goal? Keep the V3 heads? buy aluminum heads? Get the stroker? Skip the stroker and just bore it? I want to run pump gas and be able to drive it (not daily but fairly
often during the warmer months) I plan to do the work myself and sublet any machining to the local shop. I don’t want a race motor and if I am going to drop thousands I’d rather go coyote motor but being that I have this 429 with a freshly rebuilt c6 I’d like to use it if possible.

thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.
Those D3VE Heads will need quite a bit of port work to be a half way decent head and getting 500/500 with those heads at 429 cubic inches and pump gas is going to be pretty tough to do IMO!!! A 521 .030 over 429 block and a 4.3" Stroker crank and some good Aluminum Heads cam,carb and intake would probably make 600/600 if not more on pump gas!!!Here's a little teaser my car and engine it's just 466 cubic inches runs on pump gas with some octane booster added in!!
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The D3 ('73) heads are big chamber (although still a closed-type) which makes for lower compression BUT when coupled with a flush flat-top piston you get a CR in the 9.7 ballpark and a combustion chamber that supports excellent flame propagation. You won't want or need to run a lot of timing. Probably only about 30-32 degrees total. The one thing you want to do with these heads though, is grind out the air injection lumps in the exhaust ports. It's actually an easy job. When you look into the port you can pretty easily envision what the roof contour should look like, just don't go too far and create a divit. Coupled with a Comp Cams 280 Magnum and a Edelbrock Performer RPM you have a truck with a moderate buckety idle, launches like a rocket and charges hard into the high 5's.
Mark's talking about quite a bit more of a build than I, but even "my" motor would mske that light old truck jump off the ground pretty good.

Last edited by PerryB; 06-22-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Given how big that motor is I guess weight isn't a concern, but I'd go the stroker kit, aluminum heads route, but I'd consider a FI system. Given how simple they are to essentially plug and play now, seems more reliable and easier to tune than ever before. Not as simple as a carb, but better mpg and probably some more power too.

Post the results!
The following users liked this post:
Brand (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Miller
That is one good looking notchback. I always thought a Coyote notchback would be fun given how light those cars are.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
Given how big that motor is I guess weight isn't a concern, but I'd go the stroker kit, aluminum heads route, but I'd consider a FI system. Given how simple they are to essentially plug and play now, seems more reliable and easier to tune than ever before. Not as simple as a carb, but better mpg and probably some more power too.

Post the results!
i did look into the fuel injection kits and do agree they are definitely the way to go. Just not sure how much I want to put into this setup as I’m thinking eventually I’d like to go coyote. But then again with a nice fuel injection setup and all the horse power I’d ever need/want maybe the 429 could be the one. Too many damn options! Haha I may end up building this in stages just so I can get it on the road. 429 with V3 heads first and a cam. Then maybe change things up later and add fuel injection if I like the setup. I’ll keep you all posted as it goes together. Right now step one is setting the chassis up and putting the body together.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Coyote Aluminator, problem solved.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 750 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Brand
That is one good looking notchback. I always thought a Coyote notchback would be fun given how light those cars are.
Thanks,i've thought about a Coyote swap but probably couldn't get enough out of the BBF to fund the Coyote engine!!!You should check out the cars that run in the NMRA Coyote Stock and Factory stock classes with the Coyote engine there's even a Maverick in the Factory Stock class with a Coyote in it!!

Quick Reply: 429 build