Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Wiring help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help please.

So here's the deal. 1999 F150 Lariat, 5.4 V8. 4X4. Was driving on the highway when all of a sudden the radio would turn on and off. Then all of the dash lights turned on and the power windows stopped working. Headlights dimmed down. The battery gauge would drop while idling then go up when accelerating. I replaced both alternator and battery awhile back. Had both tested and fine. I did notice water leaking from the hood into the engine bay. On both sides of the bay. All the wiring harnesses are wet but I'm not sure if that could be causing it? And if so, do I need to replace the wiring or can I let it dry out and seal the leaks? Thanks in advance. -Tylet
Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you checked all your grounds yet?

Very well could be some loose grounds that have caused some corrosion. Hitting little bumps could be knocking them loose just for a split second.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All grounds are good. It ended up being the alternator again. Guys at the parts store said it tested good but we tested it on our own with a voltmeter and it was only reading around 10.00. Enough to run for a bit but battery would die after awhile. Thank you for the advice though. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Wiring help please.